Thursday, December 8, 2011

emotional dialogue

So I've made it to the halfway point of revisions for CotF, woohoo!  There are still a few major things that need to be changed in that first part, so I'm kind of ruminating about how to fix them.  I have some ideas, but I have to make sure they fit with the story.  I think I'm still on track to finish by Dec 31st, but it's still going to be challenging (which is good!  I like challenges!  Bring it on!)

One problem I'm having is emotional dialogue.  I think I do okay with emotions and how the MC is feeling in her head (she can be at bit dramatic at times...) but when it comes to believable dialogue that still has a lot of emotion, it seems a little forced to me.  (It could also just be me because I'm the one writing it, so I think it's forced).  Everyone loves kissing scenes (supposedly) and I think one of my romantic scenes is good, but there's hardly any dialogue in it.  It's more like looking into each others eyes and all that nonsense.  One of my scenes in the beginning is between the MC and her potential love interest; they're bonding over similar losses and I'm trying to get the emotion they feel into the dialogue but I just don't think it sounds real.  I'm like come on!  I know how you're feeling; why can't you just say it??  It's not that hard.  Yet for some reason, it's not sticking.  I think I need to let it sit for a little while and then come back to it with fresh eyes.  Maybe I'll have an epiphany moment and then everything will be fixed...

I'm also having problems with a romantic scene at the end where the love interest finally tells the MC how he feels.  I don't want it to be cheesy or cliche but the problem is, I usually feel like parts like that are cheesy or cliche.  Especially when dealing with teenage protagonists.  So I'm still thinking about on how to get a unique way for them to get their feelings out in the open without sounding too teenage.  Songs?  Sign language?  Actual signs?  *grumbles*

Who ever knew love would be this hard?  (haha).

No comments:

Post a Comment