Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Clockwork Prince

So I just finished Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare.  She is another one of my favorite authors, though I think I prefer her Mortal Instruments series (City of Bones etc.) to the Infernal Devices series (Clockwork Angel etc.)  The Infernal Devices is a prequel series, taking place in the 1800s of London, which is why I think I prefer the contemporary setting of the Mortal Instruments better.

But anyways, I just finished it and had to get down my thoughts.  I first picked up Clare's books because of the genre: urban fantasy.  The Mortal Instruments has werewolves, vampires, faeries and Clare created her own version of Nephilim, Shadow Hunters in this case, which are the descendants of fallen angels.  Plus the book cover looked swoon-worthy.

see?

I started reading not really thinking much (this was another one of those times I couldn't find any good books) but fell in love with Jace (as everyone does).  I read that series and started the Infernal Devices.  And I started falling in love with Will (as everyone also does again).  Clare loves love-triangles but she also does them really well in Clockwork Prince.  I sympathize more with Jem than I did with Simon, though I still don't root for him as hard as I did with Jace or Will.  
 
In every book, she rips my heart out and leaves me wanting more.  She does emotions so well and knows exactly when to capitalize on my feelings.  I read somewhere that there are things worse than death for your characters and that you have to figure out what those are and do them in the book.  AND SHE TOTALLY DOES.  And for Clockwork Prince it's especially heart-breaking because it's not quite worse than death, but super bitter/bittersweet for Tessa, the MC.  When you read it you will totally know what I mean.  It's so hard for me to do that to characters I love, but she does it, and I get angry and want to throw the book across the room, but I keep reading.  I really admire her being able to do that.  It's like when J.K. Rowling knew she had to kill off Sirius in HP; she was crying but she did it anyways.  I really respect how shes does that and hope that when the time comes I'm able to do the same thing in order to make my story better.

No comments:

Post a Comment