Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Resolutions

Welp, it's that time again.  New Years resolutions.  And I have a a lot...  I'm always overzealous when it comes to resolutions, because they're like goals and I like karate chopping them off my list.  hoo-rah!

It's always good to look back on your journey and see how far you've come.  So this is where I started.

In 2009, I graduated from college and started looking for a job in biology or linguistics.  (Funny that I got a job in linguistics before biology, right?  The reason I majored in biology was because I thought it would be easy to get a job...)  Having graduated, I fiiiinally had some free time to read for pleasure.  woohoo!!  I discovered a lot of good books: City of Bones, The Demon King, White Cat.  But after I finished all those series, I read a lot of not so great books that made me frustrated.  I knew what I wanted to read; why weren't there any books like that?  So I made a decision.  I was going to write a book that I wanted to read.  I started, got about 5,000 words in and realized I didn't really know anything about writing.  I got a full time job and my writing dwindled.  Then a writer friend of the family said he was teaching a 9 month write class (1 session per month) and I jumped at the chance.  That helped and I wrote the bulk of my story.  I wrote a query and a synopsis and a pitch.  Then I took a YA writing class through my job at Penn.  That helped me with the basics plus fine tuning everything that needed changing.  Then I rewrote my query, synopsis and pitch.  (Then I did that all again).  All the while, I read A TON; I joined goodreads (and found soooo many good books); I created a blog (hello out there!); found CPs through both my classes; critiqued lots of writing; wrote a lot more.  I intend to continue all of the above, in addition to everything that's below.

1) finishing revising CotF and send to CPs
-well I'm almost done that, but wanted to put that there so I had an extra thing to karate chop.
2) polish CotF
3) start querying (ack!)
-I've already written and re-written my query, so it's just time to polish the MS before I send it off
4) outline manuscript #2
-it's been fumbling around in my brain, so it's about time to start
5) write manuscript #2
6) attend a writing conference
-this I am most nervous about, since I am young and shy, and the word that terrifies me the most is "mingle"

Other resolutions I have are:
1) getting into grad school
-apps are done, now I'm playing the waiting game
2) moving somewhere new
-this has a lot to do with #1
3) make/join a women's ultimate frisbee team
-I've tried out for a new one every year; why would this year be different? lol
3b) make nationals - though this has to do with the team and not just me...
4) start playing bass again
-this will happen this semester thanks music lessons to Penn (yay working at universities)
5) run more often
-I hate this resolution, but I'm going to do it!

So that's a lot of resolutions.  But like I said, I like a challenge :)

No comments:

Post a Comment