Monday, February 13, 2012

magic systems

I know, I know.  I sound like a broken record.  But I want to talk about magic systems.  Again.  Steph, can't you think of any new posts??

I recently finished reading Daughter of Smoke and Bone.  It was amazingly written and the imagery was awesome.  But the thing that got me, was the magic system.  It was such a unique idea.  SOME SPOILERS AHEAD SO IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ SPOILERS, DON'T READ ON.  I love that the magic was based on wishes in the human world.  And it had something to do with those teeth Brimstone was always making Karou pick up.  But when Akiva revealed that magic came from the pain of the teeth, that's when it got me.  I thought it was beautiful.  A real cycle and reason why not everyone has magic.  And a balance!  Loss and gain equaling out.  How is that not beautiful?  It was just inborn magic or learned magic (though those are still viable ways of getting magic), but had another little twist to the magic system.

I'm still struggling a little bit with my magic system.  And when I think about DoSaB, it makes my magic system seem ordinary.  But that's okay.  As long as the magic system follows the rules at all times, it will still work as a magic system.  I have rules.  I think they make sense, but something's definitely nagging me about it.  Did I make it too convoluted?  (I feel like sometimes I definitely fall into that category).  Did I explain it well?  And I don't want to finish a novel with a concept that's still nagging me.  I think this might be another time where I need another set of eyes.  And then if I need to, I can go back and revise.

Magic systems can be tricky, especially creating and then following those rules.  I can only hope that mine makes sense and if it doesn't, then it's back to the drawing board.

No comments:

Post a Comment