Friday, March 23, 2012

Book recommendations

So sometimes my big TBR pile becomes a little overwhelming.  I think I have 130+ books on Goodreads to read.  And I want to read them all now.  The hardest part for me is picking which one I should read next.  So this is where ya'll come in.

I just finished A Fault in Our Stars by John Green and lurrrrrrrrrrved it.  Ohemgee.  I couldn't put it down.  The characters are AMAZING: funny, interesting, sympathetic.  He's a really clever writer and some parts I laughed out loud.  I also may have cried, but we won't discuss that.  Why hadn't I read John Green before this??  I'm thinking maybe I should continue and read the rest of his books.  Because if they're all like this, which I assume they are, they will be awesome.


I also read Cinder by Marissa Meyer and was quite pleasantly surprised.  I wasn't that interested in a Cinderella retelling, (but somehow ended up reading it) and was really intrigued. It's described as a "re-envisioning" of Cinderella, but there isn't that much Cinderella going on, she kind of just hinted at it and created her own story, so I really liked it.  The story outside of the Cinderella story was what got me hooked.  Her world building was cool too.  (Cyborg Cinderella, um yeah, awesome.)  I can't wait until the sequel comes out.



I also read the Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare.  She's one of my favorite writers because of the worlds she creates.  This is her steampunk series, which is cool, cause I like really like steampunk.  But this book really developed the character relationships, which is another reason why I like Clare.  (Jace and Clary in The Mortal Instrument series, um yeah, also awesome).  The focus in this book is Tessa, Will and Jem, and I reeeally got into it.


Currently I'm reading Girl of Fire and Thorns.  It's good so far and I've heard good things.

So those are the books I like.  
Anyone have any good book recommendations?  Which books are your faves?  Or ones that you read recently that blew your mind?  I need some suggestions for what to read next.

5 comments:

  1. I LOVED TFiOS! Like, ridiculous amounts. I've heard good things about Cinder but haven't read it, and already bought Clockwork Prince but haven't read that yet either. As far as recommendations...hmm...have you read The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater? I loved that one. Or Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor? Or Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved Daughter of Smoke and Bone and totes already read Anna and the French Kiss. Haven't read Scorpio Races because I started reading Shiver and stopped (not my cup of tea), but I have heard good things about Scorpio Races.

      Delete
    2. I have to say, I didn't fully appreciate Shiver until I read the whole trilogy, and that's when I became obsessed with Maggie's writing style, haha. But The Scorpio Races is very different from anything I've ever read. I'm not even sure how to classify it, really. But the writing is excellent and so is the story :) Let me know what you think if you read it!

      Delete
  2. I really liked "Cinder" as well. It was different and I loved the MC.

    Clockwork Prince was also awesome. Though I do not like her Mortal Instrument series. It's too soap opera-ish for me, LOL

    and all of Amanda's recommendations are right on! I haven't yet read The Fault in Our Stars, but keep hearing amazing things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Def read The Fault in Our Stars! The characters are pretty amazing.

      lol, I totally know what you mean about Mortal Instruments. I try to look passed that aspect and focus on the world and the characters.

      Delete