Monday, March 19, 2012

Character arcs

So I've been thinking about character arcs this weekend because it's where I'm struggling right now.  I have an arc for my MC, but I'm not sure if it's as believable as I want it to be.  She goes from this nervous, self-doubting person to someone who has to save the world.  So big change.  I know it has to be gradual, but I'm not sure if I've done it correctly.

The part I'm struggling with is the scene where the MC realizes she has a choice, a major choice, and she has to make the right one.  As readers, we know she has to choose the good side. I'm not sure how much doubt and tension should go into that decision though.  Is she wavering between the two and ultimately choose good?  Or is she definitely choosing good, which is a little out of her comfort zone because she's standing up to the antagonist, and how did she get from this nervous character to someone who isn't afraid to stand up to someone?  Is it believable?  Did her choices along the way lead up to this massive choice?  So that's what I'm grappling with for now.  (Does that even make sense? It's been a long weekend...)

In other news, linked my blog to my twitter.  I got a smart phone so I'm going to see how that goes.  Follow me!  (If you want (link in the sidebar)).

So yeah, character arcs.  Any tips?

5 comments:

  1. That's a tricky thing! I think the only way you get it really right is to keep revising, and have beta readers let you know if it's working, and revise some more. It's one of those things that has to be massaged a lot to get it just right. Best of luck!!

    And congrats on winning EDENBROOKE on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I def think I need to get it to some beta readers. Thanks!!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on winning edenbrooke on Peggy's blog. It's an awesome read. As for character arcs...idk. the only arcs I know much about are the golden ones T McDonald's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessie; I'm super excited to read it! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Really when I'm stuck on characters, I just make them myself and do and think what I might do or think. I know that sounds odd, because characters are very different from us, but it gets me through the mucky parts just fine, and actually makes them more personable.

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

    ReplyDelete