Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Wednesday Update

So I'm 75% done revisions for CotF.  woohoo!  So I'm chugging.  Still slower than I'd like and there's still a ton of tweaks left to do.  This revision was to make sure the plot came out in a coherent order and I think it's working.  My magic system is making sense (finally) and I think the character motivations are apparent.

And you know what?  I think I'm actually starting to like this story.  What did you say, Steph?  You're just starting to like it now?  I mean I liked it before, as a concept.  Faeries plus elves plus secret messages, what's not to like?  But now it's actually coming alive and taking shape.  I still have to send it to CPs so hopefully they'll be able to make it into a better shape.  I got some positive feedback about the first chapter which is always nice, and gives me a boost of motivation.  I really want to be finished so that I can just send them off and get some more feedback.  And then of course, more revisions, lol.  But overall, I really like it.  Really.

I won't be posting on Friday like I usually do.  I mentioned before, The Boy is getting knee surgery so I'll be there, hopefully on my laptop revising away and not fainting from the hospital-y things.  But it's just an outpatient procedure, so he'll be out Friday night, so I'll hopefully I won't be too distracted and be able to get a lot done while I'm there.

Have a good weekend everyone!  

7 comments:

  1. Yay for being almost done! How long have you been revising? I'm worried that my revision will take a looong time, because the draft is so incoherent right now. Also, faeries and elves and secret messages? That sounds awesome! Good luck with the rest of your revisions :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man I feel like I've been revising forever. My first draft was very, let's say, convoluted. (I had a bunch of half-thought out plot threads and lots of darlings that I had to kill. But I did. I cut them despite thinking they were cool ideas, but knew they didn't translate well into the book). I think I ended up finishing my "first draft" at the end of October, so four and a half months. But I feel like that was a vastly different story than I have now (thank goodness!) I don't know how long people usually take on revisions, but I feel like mine have been taking awhile.

      Thanks and good luck with yours when you get to them!

      Delete
  2. Hey Steph! Just wanted to let you know that you've been tagged for the Lucky 7 Meme! If you'd like to play along, you can find the info in my blog post here: http://fromimaginationtoink.blogspot.com/2012/03/lucky-7-meme.html :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay! I will def get to this on Wednesday!

      Delete
  3. 75% done on the WiP??? Go girl go! You're ALMOST THERE! I love the part where you re-fall in love with it - it's the best.

    Hope knee surgery goes okay - YIKES.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how revisions can make you feel so differently about a book. That's just one of the many reasons I LOVE them! Best of luck! You're SO close!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys!! I just have to keep pushing!

    ReplyDelete