Monday, April 30, 2012

Feeling like a fraud


Great post from Leigh Ann on Wednesday.  Also great article which was posted on her blog.  It really got me thinking, because I do feel like a fraud or that I shouldn't be using the term "writer" for myself.

In college, I didn't take a single English class or real writing class.  I was required to take two freshmen writing seminars, but they weren't on creative writing, and I didn't even like them.  Most of my time was filled with biology and other science classes, where the most writing I did was lab reports (yuck).

I think it's hard to identify myself as a writer, because it's something that's so new, and if you look at it at the surface, out of character.  But, I was always, always a reader.  And I love to create, whether it's music, photos, whatever.  So it's not really out of my character.  Writing is something I can do by myself, which is also another reason I like writing.  I'm shy and don't want to have to wait for other people for the creative process.  I like creating characters and story-telling.  There are so many interesting people in my brain with interesting stories.  (I do not have multiple-personality disorder -- don't worry.)  But if you asked me what I am?  First thing I would say is an Ultimate frisbee player, followed by musician, linguist, soon-to-be teacher of high school science, and then probably a writer.

But I think about writing all the time.  I write (almost) every day.  So what's to say I'm not a writer?  I thought maybe when I started Novel 2 I would feel more like a writer, because the first one wouldn't just be a fluke.  And I guess maybe that is true.  But I still think, sometimes, that maybe finishing these novels is luck.  BUT WHO AM I KIDDING?  Writing is hard work and they won't write themselves, so we owe it to ourselves to call us WRITERS.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I totally feel like a fraud most of the time. I don't like to call myself a writer because I don't feel "validated" yet, which is stupid, I know. And then sometimes I feel like a fraud because I don't think I'm good enough yet, like I can't call myself a writer until I write something amazing and start to query it. (Which will hopefully be this WIP when I'm done!) But you're right--writing is hard work, and no, books don't write themselves. But STILL...doesn't stop me from feeling like a fraud, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're absolutely right, it is hard work, and if you are serious and actually write you have every right to call yourself a writer :)

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

    ReplyDelete