Wednesday, May 30, 2012

100 page wall

Well, I'm about at the 100 page wall on Novel 2.  I know where I need to go, but I'm struggling getting there.  I'm getting distracted by shiny things.

And I'm worried the first draft will be waaay too short.  I'm beginning to think I don't understand middles.  I'm 25k through and I feel like I'm already getting towards the end.  50k is about the lowest one can go for a YA, and I try to hit that mark for the first draft.  I know as soon as I start the second draft, the magic will happen and it will boost my word count (adding in all those many things that got left out on the first draft), but it's still making me nervous.

Plus, I just got some feedback on COTF (shiny things!) and it makes me just want to dive in to revisions, instead of working out the problems in Novel 2.  There's so much to work on in COTF, that I feel like if I don't do it right this second, I'll forget.  But that's not true, because I can always go back and re-read the notes.

So I'm trying very hard to finish Novel 2 before diving in to COTF, putting thoughts of crappy drafts and word count behind me, though they do keep creeping into my consciousness.

What do you do when you get stuck?  Do you ever get distracted and want to start something else?  What do you do when that happens?  (Do you give in or just keep plugging?)

10 comments:

  1. Don't worry about thinking you won't make the word count. Focus on finishing the draft first and then add to it.

    and a second draft will probably help a lot!

    I always feel a slump coming on when writing such as halfway through or in the middle of a chapter. You just have to keep going.

    I do outline though so I know what's going to happen but when I lose motivation, I take a break and do something else for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to quit worrying and just do!

      I've outlined a bit, but I think I might have to go back and re-outline to job my memory again.

      Delete
  2. I totally understand this. I'm about 33k in and I've been SLOGGING through this middle. I'm also thinking my draft will be too short, but we must persist! I think this what happens when you don't outline lol.

    It's probably good to let COTF sit for a little while, but I would probably be antsy to start working on it, too :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Middles are so hard! (I know I said that with beginnings as well, lol, and will probably whine about endings, though this time I think I actually know where I'm going).

      Maybe it's time to make some new goals? Maybe that's what I need to help get through this rough patch.

      Delete
  3. I am the queen of distraction. I mostly suffer during revisions but it's also a problem when I start to write the climax of my story. It's hard, but I just keep working until I find my groove again. Sometimes I have to take a little break and think things through until I'm excited to continue. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think I need a serious brain storming session!

      Delete
  4. I agree about not worrying about the word count. Just push through to the end and then you can go back in. With revisions you usually add a lot of words, and if you get to the end and find your pacing is off, you may end up adding whole scenes. You never know.

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true about adding complete new scenes. I need to get out of my own head and just WRITE!

      Delete
  5. Don't worry about not having enough words in a book. Just have everything come out naturally.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I def just have to get in the mindset of not worrying. thanks for stopping by!

      Delete