Friday, May 4, 2012

the jumbles

So I think I have a case of the jumbles. Okay, maybe not that kind...

Yes, I totally made an outline, but I'm beginning to think that it wasn't quite what I needed.  I'm a pantser.  I like that part of discovery writing because something new is always lurking around the corner.  As I write, new things just happen, and it makes sense.  

I can't do that when I outline.

When I started outlining Novel 2, it was a very vague/broad outline.  I knew the premise of the story and figured I'd figured out along the way what would happen in between the plot points.  

Welp.  I already blogged about beginnings being hard.  They are!  Getting the story to pick up pace, while doing what you have to do to introduce EVERYTHING (character, setting, plot) is hard. And sticking it all in the beginning?  I found my path being very windy and jumbled.  So I ended up making another outline just of the beginning.  So my new favorite thing is outlines (but outlining AFTER I've already written the scenes).  It really helps to organize my thoughts.

Now my question is go back and fix the beginning order of events?  Or keep chugging?  Maybe I should take my own advice about keep chugging, but my brain feels like I need to order the scenes correctly, so that I can really get a sense of my characters.  Trying to turn off the perfectionist is hard, and I'd really rather just finish the draft because I know there will be a million revisions afterwards anyway.

2 comments:

  1. Haha, the jumbles. Well, does a lot need to change in the beginning? How much have you written? This happened to me and you already know I went back and started over, and I think it was the right choice for me. My story just makes more sense now with the new changes. BUT you could always just pretend you made the changes and keep going as if you did, then fix it later. If you think you can live with that, I'd say just fix it later, but if it's really going to bother you, then just fix it now :)

    Also, I think I'm part-pantser too. I give myself grief for not having an outline, but outlining is like torture to me! And I feel like I can't figure stuff out with an outline anyway--it just happens while I write, even though it's painful because I have no idea what's going on, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not very far in, like 10k or so. You did a massive! overhaul with 40k, so my 10 seems so little, lol. I think I'm going to try to push forward until I can't take it any more and then revise the structure. But hopefully that won't be until I'm done the first draft :)

      Yeah, agreed, I feel like I can't figure stuff out with an outline. I need more meat to the story to be able to figure everything.

      Delete