Wednesday, May 9, 2012

new horizons

Well guys, I finally quit my job.  No, not for writing, though I won't say that isn't part of the reason.  I'm going back to grad school in the fall [for science education], and I need to take two Praxis exams before I can even register for classes.  Not every state does uses the Praxis as teacher certification, but PA does, and the grad school I'm going to is unusual [read: annoying] in which it requires me to pass the biology Praxis before I even start classes.

Anywho, this means I am going to be very busy for the next two months.  I leave my job June 7th, take the biology Praxis June 9th.  The Philly Writers Conference is June 8-10 (yeah, I know, annoying that I'm missing the morning part of the conference on June 9th, but the Praxis for areas of study is only given about four times a year.  (I should get there by 10 am though)).  I have to take the Praxis 1 on June 28th, all the while studying for both tests.

So two months of crazy before 2 months of nothing to do at all.  I think the biggest challenge for me is going to be making sure I get writing done while I'm studying.  For me, studying is an all-encompassing monster.  I feel guilty if I'm doing something that's not studying.  (At least I did in undergrad.  I literally read zero books for fun, or watched any TV shows and rarely movies.  All I did was study and play Ultimate frisbee (you need to exercise at least a little bit...))  For all intents and purposes, I only get one shot at these exams, and I'll be studying for the hard one while also working 9-5, and gearing up for Ultimate season/doing PT on my knee.

So it's all about choices.  During this month, focus on studying, with some writing on the side while maintaining some form of exercise.  Should I be watching TV right now?  No.  Get back to studying.  Need a study break?  Get some writing in instead of watching a TV show.  Those TV shows will be online forever; they can wait.  It's about mind set and focus.  And making schedules (they're like lists!  I love them!) and sticking to them.  The trick to schedules, is also scheduling in some down time.  (I did this all the time in undergrad).  Taking frequent breaks is actually conducive to studying, if you schedule them in and keep to the schedule.  If your break goes hours longer than planned, they're not really helping anything...

So for the next month I might be sporadic with my blog posts.  Writing is a big part of my life, but I need to make sure I pass these exams.  And I mean after June 28th, I'll have two whole months of nothing before grad school!  That sounds like a lot of time to be writing.  (Which makes me nervous, because of what I posted about on Monday about my writing habits).  And also being a teacher gives me three whole summer months to explore more book ideas :)

8 comments:

  1. Starting over is never easy, I bet you'll be great at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks! Nervous, but I know this is the right decision :)

      Delete
  2. Ahhh big changes!!! You can totally do it. It will definitely be hard but schedules are awesome (I make schedules all the time! Love them, too!) and if you stick to the plan you can definitely fit in some writing time. So exciting that you're going to grad school! It sounds like it will be crazy for the next 1-2 months but just work your butt off and look forward to the 2 month break! Good luck with everything, keep us posted :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Aren't schedules, awesome? They totes keep me focused and really give my mind some peace. So I think I'm ready to take on the crazy! (At least for now...)

      Delete
  3. Oh wow! You've got a lot ahead of you!

    Good luck with your exams! I've got loads coming up too but I've trying to ignore them!

    I'm new to your blog btw! HI!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't being busy the story of everyone's life? lol. Just need to focus and keep writing! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. This seems to be a popular topic at the moment - trying to keep up with all aspects of our life. I have a bit of a new approach on time management at the moment, and that's to 'not get stuff done'. It seems to work for me. I can go to bed and think, Woah, that's four things I didn't get done today, good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find myself falling into that approach lately, lol. Though I can't help myself with making schedules which really helps me keep focus.

      Delete