Monday, May 7, 2012

writing habits

So I'm pretty self-motivated, which is pretty good for an unagented writer - we have to be.  Otherwise we would never finish a book.

It's good to set daily goals, but sometimes it takes me awhile to just get started.  I found I am most productive when my brain creates a deadline.  It's 8:30 pm and I want to get ready for bed in 2 hours?  I haven't written tonight?  Oh crap.  GO GO GO.  And I just write for two hours.

On the other hand, when I have the whole day to write, take the day The Boy got surgery and I took the day off from work, I procrastinate LIKE WOAH.  There's something in my brain that just tells myself that I can wander the interwebz or watch a TV show because I have the whole day to write.

So what is it that makes us procrastinate?  Maybe I need to up my goals A LOT on those days where I have the whole day to write.  I need to focus and just go.  I think I need focusing exercises, oh what's that sparkly thing? 

A lot of bloggers talk about Word Wars.  Maybe that's what I need.  I am VERY competitive, so I could see myself probably doing pretty well with that.

I think many times I get in moods where I'm stuck in a place and just don't want to write.  Getting myself to sit down, open the laptop, and actually focus is the hardest part.  After that BAM I crank out a thousand words in a brief sitting.  It's just the initial focusing that makes me get hung up.

What are your writing habits?  How do you make yourself sit down and just write?

6 comments:

  1. Yup, I'm the same way. If I have a lot of time, I can't seem to focus and keep getting distracted, but if I'm writing on my lunch break for example, I can focus on writing the whole time. I usually write after work, though. I'll go to Starbucks, or more recently the library, with my laptop and just write there for an hour or two. Sometimes I can write at home, but I need to set a timer for myself to keep on task :) Getting started is definitely the hardest part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried a timer; that's a good idea!

      Delete
  2. I suffer from serious procrastination. Like right now, I should be writing ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, I feel like I always should be writing!

      Delete
  3. I'm just the opposite if I set a goal, someone else needs to be holding me to it or it won't get done. I really like to use write or die becasue if you take your hands off the keyboard it starts erasing words which is a writers worst nightmare. It keeps me going on the hard days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very undisciplined as a writer. I just can't seem to focus on the task at hand. I'm also bad at being a student.

    If only there was an illness for this and doctors would give us medication for it! Life would be so much easier!

    I find it easier to write when I know I have a whole day to write though. It's harder for me to write in chunks of time since I need a couple of minutes to think and get my thoughts together.

    ReplyDelete