Wednesday, June 6, 2012

books I've read recently

So despite having to study for the biology Praxis exam and the general Praxis exam, I've still been able to read a few books lately.

The first was Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde.  NOT to be confused with 50 Shades of Gray.  nothankyou.  This is set in a world where status is based on the color a person can see.  Everyone can see black and white and grey-scale, and then (maybe) one other color: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet, with violet being the highest status, the lowest being just grey-scale (with red coming up next).  So all the "violets" are the most upperclass.   It's a very cool and unique world, which I was specifically interested because of Novel 2's theme of synesthesia and colors playing a big role.  And I love Jasper Fforde as an author.  He's hilarious and witty and British, so there are some things that get confusing because of the Britishisms or just the different words they use.  If you've read his Thursday Next series or his Nurser Crime series, I would def recommend Shades of Grey.

I also read City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare.  Ohemgee I love this series and Clare always lives up to the hype for me.  It's the 5th of 6 books (last one hasn't come out yet) and I can't wait!  Jace is always lovely to read about (*swoon*) and I really do care about most of the secondary characters and their backstories.  But there are a lot of them, so sometimes they do kind of get mushed together.  This was a really good continuation of the 4th book (1st in the second trilogy), while also being able to kind of stand alone in the story line; I might have even liked it better then City of Fallen Angels.  There were even some references to her Steam-punk series set in the same Shadowhunter world, The Infernal Devices, and characters in that series.  So I'm interested to see if there will be any more overlap between the two as we get to the last two books in each series.

I've been on a John Green kick since I read TFiOS, so I read both Looking for Alaska and An Abundance of Katherines.  (Okay, I actually read them awhile ago).  LfA was better, though both were good because John Green is awesome at writing characters.  He gives his characters such unique and quirky character traits that you can't help but fall in love with all of them (in an entirely different way than you fall in love with Jace).  In LfA, the main character Miles loves reading biographies about authors, but not the actual work they are known for.  I just though it was a super cool detail and tidbit for a character to have and definitely makes him feel more real.  I still have to read Paper Towns and Will Grayson, Will Grayson, but I'm totes looking forward to it!

6 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of these! They all sound awesome. When I read your description of Shades of Grey I immediately thought of your WIP, haha. I've read all of the books in the Mortal Instruments series and really liked them, but kind of lost momentum. Maybe I'll pick up City of Lost Souls, but I still have Clockwork Prince sitting on my shelf, lol. And I looooved TFiOS but haven't read any other of John Green's books. But I keep hearing amazing things about Looking for Alaska!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I read the summary of Shades of Grey, I KNEW I had to read, if not for the author, than because of my WiP, lol. Cassandra Clare is one of my faves, so I'm biased when it comes to her, but you should def check them out. And John Green is just all around fantastic for everything!

      Delete
  2. I love how you distinguished between Shades of Grey and that other book!

    I really want to read Looking for Alaska but I'm not sure if I'll enjoy it.

    I feel weird because I've never read any of Cassandra Clare's books even though I love paranormal books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Cassandra Clare and her urban fantasies. She has a really unique twist on Nephilim, and a cool Shadowhunter world.

      I love John Green. Have you read The Fault in Our Stars? So far that's my favorite from him, but Looking for Alaska is good too. Why don't you think you'll enjoy it? You can always start reading it and then stop if you don't like it :)

      Delete
  3. I just finished reading Will Grayson, Will Grayson! I really liked it, you should definitely check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiii KP! It's one of the next books on my list. And you *have* to read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I'm thinking of joining the West Philly library (which has the dumbest hrs, but whatevs), so we should start a book club! (I bet Shorts would totes be down too).

      Delete