Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Amazing Spiderman

So I finally saw the new reboot of Spiderman. Let me preface this with I love superhero movies. From The Avengers to the X-men, to even Transformers. There's something about these larger than life characters that I just cannot get enough of. Plus I love action movies. I also haven't read the comics.

Andrew Garfield worried me in the first scene with his Peter Parker voice, because he sounded like a Brit trying to speak in an American accent. Which he is. But after that, I was impressed with his accent. I know if I ever tried to act in a British accent, I would be fumbling over every single word. (Or if I tried to act in general, but I've never tried and probs never will. ahem. tangent.) I also like him better than Tobey Maguire, but I don't know if he made a better Spiderman. For me, Tobey was a super nerd, so he had a greater transformation into Spiderman. Andrew was never weak like Tobey was, though Andrew did get beat-up in the first scene protecting someone from being bullied (save the cat scene!), but he didn't seem as weak to me as Peter Parker should be.

I also had some problems with Gwen Stacey. I know from my comic-expert (aka The Boy) she's supposed to be very confident and sure-of-herself. They set her up to be this way when she confronts the bully after Peter and the other guy get beat, but then at times she seems fumbling. She gets timid around Peter after they've already had some conversations. It didn't make sense to me and seemed out of character. All of Peter and Gwen's interactions were mega awkward and uncomfortable. But I do love Emma Stone. (And The Boy said he liked this Gwen better than the comic-book Gwen).

I did like the back story of Peter's father being a scientist, but that could just be the science nerd in me. But I thought it added to the story, since it made Peter want to find out what had happened to him and made him keep going back to Oscorp. I liked the villain of this story, though I don't know if anyone can be better than Alferd Molina as Doc Ock. Also Stan Lee's cameo was awesome.

Overall, I liked it but it wasn't great. Andrew Garfield is charming, maybe too much for Peter. I'll be interested to see how everything plays out in the sequel, though I might have to find someone else to go with because I might not be able to convince The Boy to go...

5 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this yet, but I want to! I haven't read the comics, either, so I'm not sure what the characters are "supposed" to be like...which means I'll probably enjoy the movie, for the most part :) I didn't know Andrew Garfield was British, though! It always impresses me when Brits can act with American accents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just a sucker for action movies, lol. Though it didn't quite live up to my expectations, I'm pretty good at compartmentalizing it and just taking it for it's worth as an action movie. But yeah, all those Brits with American accents are amazing! (Hugh Laurie and Ed Westwick are probs my two faves because when I hear them speak in their British accents I'm always like OH RIGHT YOU'RE ACTUALLY BRITISH and then lots of swooning happens, lol).

      Delete
  2. I have yet to see it, but your review makes me want to form an opinion for myself. I loved the last three movies (despite the comic book critics) so I'm hesitant about seeing this one, but I'm too curious to not go. Although it may not happen until the movie is on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you like Spiderman than it's a must-see, but definitely keep your expectations in check or you could be disappointed.

      Delete
  3. I actually LOVED the movie. About 30 times better than the ones with Tobey Maguire. The acting was fabulous, and the story, although predictable, was told well. In fact, the only thing I didn't like about the movie was the shape of the Lizard's head. :P

    ReplyDelete