Friday, July 20, 2012

The Promise Ring and emotions

he's so left-handed!!
So I just got back from one of my favorite band's shows and I'm still high on music.  The Promise Ring broke up pretty much right as I started to discover them so I have never been able to see them live. UNTIL NOW.

And guys?  ohemgee.

I forgot how much I like live shows.  It's the feeling of community.  The emotions shared from singer to audience.  It's a shared story that everyone can relate to.

And that's what I'm trying to do in my writing too.

I've been revising COTF for who knows how long (I've stopped counting...), but overall I'm just trying to get readers to relate to the story and the emotions that go into it.  First love.  Being different.  Feeling like an outsider.  Wishing someone would understand you.  Becoming a stronger person.  The emotions of all of it.  These are all common things in my story that I think everyone can relate to.

Thinking back to The Promise Ring, one of the reason I feel in love with their music was because the lyrics spoke to me.  I could relate to what they were saying; it was like he was singing what was in my brain.  Plus some of their songs were really catchy.

So every time I doubt myself with questions of structure or plot or what-have-you, I just need to go back and make sure these characters are connecting with the reader.  That the audience can relate to them.  And that there's emotion.  Because I think that's what reading books is really all about.

2 comments:

  1. I've only been to one live music group, and that was The Aquabats. Amazing the energy of that crowd! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Aquabats are awesome! Travis Barker is my fave drummer and all their crazy names are sweet. The best part of going to shows is the amazing energy :)

      Delete