Monday, July 16, 2012

titles and save the cat

So I started reading Save the Cat! the screen writing book by Blake Snyder.  I read the first chapter and he's already gotten me thinking about my MS in a different way.

He talks about loglines and titles being the one-two punch for pitching a story.  And not just pitching, but making sure the story sharper, less convoluted and actually knowing what the story is about.  It makes a lot of sense.  The title and logline have to be what the focus of the story is about and not peripheral subplots.  But it also has to be specific to the novel, and not a vague title that could be any story.  Snyder also talks about a hint of irony, which I don't think is quite necessary for books as it is for movies.  He says the irony is the hook, but I just think a hook is necessary so that the reader is intrigued.

I've been thinking for a while that I need to change the title of Code of the Fireflies.  The title itself doesn't quite make sense until it's read, so it's not really hooky, (because if you have to read it to understand the title, it's not really doing it's job) though it is quite specific to the book.

So I've come up with some alternate titles.  Any feedback (good or bad) about the new titles or current titles would be much appreciated!

Pendant of the Firefly
Onvala's Pendant
Pendant of Onvala
The Lost Pendent
The Lost Firefly
World of Fae and Fireflies
The Magic of the Firefly
The Magic of the Pendent
Song of the Firefly

And while we're at it, here's my logline, but you can find a better summery here on my "what I'm working on" page.

When Elle finds out her grandmother's firefly pendent is more than mere jewelry, she is thrown into the world of Fae to stop the Dark Fae leader from destroying the world and to find out where her place is in the midst of these worlds.

10 comments:

  1. I honestly like Code of the Fireflies or Song of the Firefly the best out of all of those. Some of them sound too clunky. I'll have to see what I think after I read it, but I don't think Code of the Fireflies is confusing or anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe I'm overthinking this? idk, lol, I've gotten mixed reviews on the title, but I'm glad you like it! you'll have to tell me what you think after you read it :)

      Delete
  2. I like Pendant of the Firefly, that sounds really good, but I like your first choice too ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmm, maybe it's not as confusing as I thought? thanks for the info!

      Delete
  3. Song of the Firefly has a lovely, lyrical feel to it - definitely my favourite. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like that one too! I'm a sucker for anything with music :)

      Delete
  4. I like Code of the Firefly best. And man, I love this premise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmm, it seems that maybe I was wrong and should keep it the same title? thanks for the feedback!

      Delete
  5. Without having read your novel, I love SONG OF THE FIREFLY. It is really lyrical and literary. However, Code of the Firefly reminds me of Firefly the tv show hehe. I've never read Save the Cat but I hear great things about it.
    Steph, *waves* I stopped by through Chessie's blog. It's always nice to find someone else who loves YA, music and enjoys ultimate frisbee (although I SUCK at ultimate!! LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I LOVE the tv show Firefly, so I guess that could be a good thing? lol. YA, music, and ultimate are probably the three things that define me so thanks for stopping by! it's great to meet people with similar interests :)

      Delete