Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Be Inspired Meme


I've been tagged in the Be Inspired Bloghop Meme! Thanks Amanda Olivieri! I've just finished a round of revisions, going on another round, so it's nice to take a little break, step back and look at the bigger picture :)

1. What is the name of your book?

Code of the Firefly 

2. Where did the idea for your book come from?

I've always loved fantastical worlds, but even more so, faeries. I knew I wanted to write about them, but take it far away from the usual Seelie/Unseelie courts. I studied linguistics in college, so I've always loved the idea of codes and secret messages. So that plus the song Fireflies by Owl City (and other music), meld them together and voila, the idea for Code of the Firefly.

3. In what genre would you classify your book?

I think it's YA Contemporary Fantasy.

4. If you had to pick actors to play your characters in a movie rendition, who would you choose?

Elle, my MC, could be a young Zooey Deschanel. Caleb could be Graham Phillips. (I saw him on an episode of White Collar, and feel in love with his green eyes). Jonah could be a Jonas brother (with longer hair).  And I haven't seen anyone for Reza yet, so I'll keep my eyes open.

 5. Give us a one-sentence synopsis if your book.

I've been procrastinating on this for so long because there's so many plot lines that I never know which one to choose. Here it goes: 

When seventeen-year old Elle Evangelista's firefly pendant, a source of legendary power in the Fae world, is stolen, she must translate an ancient message before the solar eclipse, for if she fails, the Fae world, the human realm, and the reason that Elle was drawn to the Fae world to begin with, will be destroyed forever.

6. Is your book already published?

Nope.

7. How long did it take you to write your book?

Um, I'm still writing? Or at least revising. It's a year and a half and counting.

8. What other books within your genre would you compare it to? Or, readers of which books would enjoy yours?

Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series is the first to pop in my head. Or the Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa.

9. Which authors inspired you to write this book?

There are so many. Obviously Cassandra Clare for both the romantic relationship and her urban fantasy world, which is so complete and wonderful. Reading Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone taught me what beautiful writing is and is only something I can continually try to strive for. Becca Fitzpatrick and Hush, hush with both her mythology and romance. And Marissa Meyer with Cinder for her world building, multiple plot lines and amazing writing.

10. Tell us anything that might pique our interest in your book.

It's kind of National Treasure meets Lord of the Rings for YA. Plus lots of music influences. 


Also the first scene, where the church bells ring off-key was inspired by my mom, who, while we were waiting to go see a musical, heard church bells ringing and remarked that they were flat. (I have no idea how she could tell!)

11. Tag five people!


Feel free to participate or not, if you don't want to. But I want to hear about your books!  Here are the five:

Sarah Allen

Jenny Kaczorowski

J.A. Bennett

Christina dos Santos

Christine Danek

10 comments:

  1. oh Steph, your book sounds awesome, and now I'm a little jealous of Amanda who got to read it ;)
    thank you for tagging me. I'll definitely participate in this meme. so fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christina! It's (obviously) still a work in progress, but these memes are so fun. I'm excited to hear about your book!

      Delete
  2. Yay COTF!! So interesting to see where it came from and who you'd pick for actors :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Picking actors is hard! Especially Caleb because I had such a picture of him in my head already.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the tag and so nice to meet you. Your novel sounds awesome. A character in my second novel is modeled after Zooey Daschel (I'm sure I butchered her name). Good luck and I will be posting my meme soon.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Zooey! She's beautiful but also quirky which is awesome. Can't wait to read your meme.

      Delete
  4. Your book sounds excellent! I would love it read it someday :) Thanks for the tag! Don't be offended if I don't pass it along, I don't really do awards at all, but it's nice to be loved! (BTW, I'm a HUGE White Collar fan. Good choice ^_~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't be offended at all! I just figured I would try :) And White Collar is great, though I am behind for this season (and will need to change that once revisions are done!)

      Delete
  5. This sounds really interesting, Steph! I like the idea of a National Treasure/Lord of the Rings crossover, since they're both films I absolutely love. Thanks for following my blog as well. It seems like you have a great blog, so not only am I following you, but I look forward to getting to know you in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fiona! I saw your blog and knew I wanted to follow it. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete