Friday, August 3, 2012

Esther Day

Today is Esther Day.  I just found this out yesterday and was so taken with the idea I had to blog about it.  When John Green met Esther, who subsequently inspired some of TFiOS, he pronounced her birthday as Esther Day.  She passed away a few weeks after Esther Day, but on her birthday she wanted to remind us to let everyone know how much we love them.  (Yes, I am two years late, but better late than never).

Ordinarily, I probably wouldn't do this, for I am not one for proclaiming love, but this hit me hard.  In fact, TFiOS hit me hard.  Everyone knows someone who has died from cancer, so the story resonates with a lot of people.  For me, it was my dad, who passed away a year and a half ago.  And as it turns out, today would also be his birthday.  Coincidences are sometimes magnificent.  Even under poor circumstances.

So in honor of Esther and my dad, I'm going to tweak today a little bit, and instead of proclaiming love, proclaim thanks, which are almost the same thing.  There are so many things I am thankful for, but the writing community is one of them.  A lot of us know how it feels to be an introvert, a nerd, an outsider, but here we're all accepted.  We're just trying to tell stories, to get lost in a different world, to find hope in the characters of a book.  I am so lucky to have found this community of people who understand the agonies and joys of writing, who are able to relate, who love these characters so much that they talk to me about them like they are real people.  Who get obsessed about literature like I do.  Who want everyone to succeed.  The community is not just a sense of belonging, but truly a sense of adoration.

So don't forget today to remind someone that you are thankful for them or that you love them.  Cherish the friendships that you have and let them know.  You never know what simple words can brighten someone's day.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Steph. (((hugs))) There are no words. I had no idea :( That *is* a magnificent coincidence, though. Really.

    The writing community is amazing, and SO something to be thankful for! I am thankful for YOU, dear friend. And for Caleb. Because, you know. :) (You really have no idea how obsessed I am with him. But you will SEE in the notes! Yes, you will see!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amanda! It's not something I usually bring up, but I think it is important to remember the love of people around us. And thank YOU for being so amazing! For reading and tweeting and getting excited about the same things I do :)

      Delete
  2. I was actually planning on starting The Fault in Our Stars today. I guess it's a good day to do so. Crazy about your dad, but I can't think of a better way to remember someone then to be grateful for what you have. It makes me want to be a better person as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TFiOS is awesome and the characters are magnificent. Definitely a good day to pick it up! And I think you hit the nail on the head, it's always good to remember to be grateful for what you have that way you can always cherish the good moments :)

      Delete