Monday, September 24, 2012

query letters

So I've been going back and forth with my query letter.  I'm not procrastinating on my MS or anything...  I've stream-lined the query so that it only focuses on one-major plot, introduces the main character and a little bit of the fantasy world. There's not too many facts thrown in there at once going off in a million directions which is what I was going for.  The only thing is, in order to do that, I got rid of any mention of the love interest.

My MS is a YA contemporary fantasy, so the main plot isn't the love story, but it's a big part of it.  But the love interest doesn't really flow in the query; it would just be introducing a new character who's only purpose in the query would be to be the love interest.  So my question is, do I keep him out or trying to finagle him into the query?  I'm worried it will seem too scattered because I'm adding another sub-plot.  Is it okay to assume that the MS would have a love interest in it?  In the end paragraph, I do reference the romantic relationship being like another book as a reference.  So I don't know if that's out of the blue either...


12 comments:

  1. hum... I think love is important to the story. In my query I mention the love interest in the sense that he goes on the adventure with the girl. Maybe you could figure out a way to do that? Here's my query if you want to read it and get a good idea - http://deanabarnhart.blogspot.com/2012/09/agent-pitch-finalist-38-existence.html

    And quit procrastinating! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo I'll def check out your query! Thanks for the advice (and the kick in the butt)!

      Delete
  2. If the love story is really important to the book, I'd definitely mention it! :) Congrats on getting ready to query! SO scary, but exciting too! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So scary! I think I'll try to finagle it in somewhere, because I think it is a big part of the book.

      Delete
  3. I wish I could give you some advice, but I'm not at that point yet, so I have no idea what the right thing to do is. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not *quite* there either, but I've been revising both at the same time. Revisions take so long...

      Delete
  4. Can you hint at it? Maybe at the end add something like, "And if that weren't enough, there's this boy...." Or "And throughout a mysterious boy keeps..." I don't know your story, but maybe you can have a line at the very ending hinting at it. Romantic threads are so popular with teens that it would be a shame to leave yours out if it actually is important to the story.

    Good luck with querying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right. Since they are so popular and it is a big part of my MS, I should definitely try to get something in there. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. I think you should add the love interest because that is a huge part of YA and especially if it is a big part of the story. You don't need to go into too much detail, just mention it. For example, you don't have to use his name, you could refer to him as "the boy she loves" or something along those lines. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crystal! I'm definitely going to be re-working the query to at least introduce him (and his green eyes... *swoon*).

      Delete
  6. As important as it is not to muddy the query with too much info, I think you could probably add a hint of the love story without giving details. Just knowing it is there is probably enough. Best of luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Peggy! It will def being undergoing a revision soon :)

      Delete