Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Where has all the time gone?

Astronomical clock in Prague
So classes started last week.  I think I'm a little crazy taking four night classes, each with some amount of required fieldwork (meaning class observation, about 10 hrs for each of my 4 classes), plus a part-time job, plus writing, (plus ultimate frisbee which will be done in October).  It leaves me wondering the same thing.

Where has all my time gone?

Well.  (That's a deep subject, as my dad would've said).  It's still there, but it's looking like a need to make a new schedule and adhere to that  schedule more closely.  Getting up earlier than usual (because I'm not a night person) so that I can fit in those few hours of writing.  I still have revisions to do!  I think I actually do better when I have zero time, because it makes me more productive.  I only have that one or so hours a day, so I MUST write during that time in order to get everything done.

But it's going to take some time to get into that routine.  I think I have to be okay with failing at doing everything at first.  It's okay.  But I can't do that forever.  I don't like not writing.  I want to complete this MS.  I also have to get all my reading and assignments done for class.  These are all things I HAVE to do.  So I have to fit it in.

It's about making time.  I no longer will just have free time.  This means other things will suffer.  I probably won't blog as much.  I probably won't read as much outside of class (though I really can't give that up entirely because I'm addicted to reading).  Those extra minutes will be for writing and revising.  I also had this crazy idea of doing NaNo this year, something I've never done before.  Will I be able to do everything?  We'll see.  One of the things about my goals, is that I like to challenge myself; set the goals really high so that I have to strive and not always make them.  So I know failing happens, and while I'm not okay with it, I know that I can come back from it and continue on.

8 comments:

  1. It is HARD to fit everything in! You have so much going on now, a schedule is a must. But like you said, it's okay to not get everything done at first while you're still getting used to it. Once you get into a routine it'll be slightly easier. I kind of agree though that when you're super busy, you're actually more productive in your "free" time for writing, etc., because you know that you don't have any other time to do it.

    You can do it!! Good luck finding a good routine!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping to get into a REAL schedule by next week (third week of classes). And then I'll have a better idea of when my only free writing time is. We'll see what happens...

      Delete
  2. I can seriously relate to the time issue - I have no idea where it's all gone! Also, that's a great attitude to have! Even if you fail you just have to pick yourself up again and start anew. I definitely recommend NaNo, it's great fun and a great challenge! Even if you don't win, it's crazy how much you can do if you really push yourself. Good luck with it all, Steph!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you have good things to say about NaNo. I think it could be really fun, and maybe help me more with time management? *hopes*

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you have a great attitude! Just know that not everyday will be perfect, the important thing is to keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do what we have to do. I admire your determination. Go to it and see where it takes you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Night and summer classes ... That's how I plowed through my bachelors in two years (would have taken three otherwise). And you've got the same go-to-ness that I have, so I'm not worried you'll find the time for other writerly things. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David! I'm glad to hear someone else is as crazy as me :)

      Delete