Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Doubting in writing

Max thinks I'm crazy too
(but what does he know?)
Ever get to that point where you think you are seriously crazy for trying to do this writing thing?  That all your words are dumb and you start doubting yourself?  Yeah me neither... ahem.

I'm getting to the point where everything I re-read just seems to... suck.  I mean I know it doesn't.  (Maybe?)  But it feels like it does.  I'm doubting everything I write.  I can't seem to get into the flow of revisions.  Everything I seem to think of seems trite or messy and I'll never be able to fix it.  It's just doubt, doubt, doubt.

The good news is I hear this is normal!  (Hooray, I'm normal for once!)  My old writing professor said he still doubts every manuscript and he's published like a gajillion books.  (I may be exaggerating).  So despite him knowing what he's doing when it comes to writing, he would still get down on himself.  But he said there were a few ways he would get back into the swing of things, and one of that was giving it over to CPs; it would help him re-energize and give him that extra umph that he needed to finish the story that didn't actually suck.

So doubting is normal, it just means we have to continue to push through.  We can't give up.  Some times it seems endless (like to me right now), but we will get there.  Having CPs is vital to this solitary hobby, giving us a little more reassurance.  But one can also take some time off and working on another MS, go on long walks, vacation, even do a different hobby for a while.  Either way, we still get back and do this, because it's what we love to do.

So while doubting is natural, we can't let it win; we are too strong for that.

4 comments:

  1. Ugh, I doubt my writing all the time. ALL THE TIME. Sometimes it's hard not to. I think it's hardest while revising, because you're reading the same stuff over and over and constantly scrutinizing it. It's hard to keep perspective, so I agree about having CPs. So important!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, especially while revising! It's like at every sentence I ask why did I write that?? But it's just from being too close I think so perspective and CPs def help.

      Delete
  2. Amen! I always doubt myself, but every once in a while I'll write something that I'm like "That is so funny, did I really think of that?" then I feel much better. (although it only happens every once in a great while ^_^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are great moments! It does give me more motivation when those times happen because it makes me realize I can do this!

      Delete