Monday, October 15, 2012

Looper

I went to see Looper about a week ago.  I was really excited because I love action movies, JGL (or as some say Joe Go Lev, I prefer JGL) and Rian Johnson the writer/director (he did Brick and The Brothers Bloom).  Things I wasn't excited about: time-travel (it always hurts my brain), Bruce Willis and JGL looking like Bruce Willis.

The basic plot summary is (from IMDB):
"In 2074, when the mob wants to get rid of someone, the target is sent 30 years into the past, where a hired gun awaits."  (Now I'm paraphrasing) When the mob wants to get rid of the hired gun, they'll send him back to be executed by himself, aka "closing the loop."

I liked the movie.  The audience really got to know the characters which isn't always something that happens in an action movie, and I really appreciated it.  JGL was spot on with his Bruce Willis impersonation (he said he watched a lot of old Bruce Willis movies to get ready for the part, learning his voice and mannerisms).  There was actually some really cool world-building.  The time-travel was done super well so that everything made sense (yay!) and that it didn't hurt my brain; I actually liked that aspect of the story.  The only thing I had a problem with was that I was expecting many more twists.  It seemed very straight-forward to me, and I'm usually pretty bad about guessing endings.  (I don't even usually try; I don't want it to be ruined).  But the big twist ending was just meh to me; I was expecting a whole lot more.

But either way, I thought it was more than just a fun movie.  And I think Rian Johnson will be popping up a whole lot more as a writer/director.

No comments:

Post a Comment