Wednesday, December 19, 2012

MS #2

I recently restarted MS #2.  It's been a hard road, coming back after a few months of not doing anything on the story.  And what I reread, I didn't like.  The plot was there, but that was about the only thing good about it.  I know I'm going to have to rewrite it.  But for me, I have to complete the MS first, so that I can see everything more clearly before I started rewriting.

But just getting to the end is the hard part.  I'm 35k in of 50k.  (My first drafts tend to be short).  And every word is a fight.  It's hard to be motivated when I know I just have to rewrite the thing.  But I know it will be better if I just finish first so that the whole thing can make sense in my brain.  I have big plans for rewriting and revisions, but I just have to get to that point.

I think I need to go back and reread some stuff from SAVE THE CAT!  (Seriously, if you don't own this book, you totally should!)  And next time, spend more time outlining before diving in to writing.  I do simple outlines with major points and stuff, but now I see why detailed outlines are so helpful!  (Why hadn't I seen it before??)  But as long as the MS gets completed, I'm going to call it a winner.  For now.  (Until I get to revisions...)

2 comments:

  1. No matter how much I plot, I tend to do this with every book. It seems like I always get to the end of writing a story and then I see how it can be made better. Sometimes, it's the best way to improve ourselves! Don't stress out about it and make sure you take a break after you finish writing it. Try not to think about the book at all then when you come back you can have a fresh perspective and get it right. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm going to try to finish it before the holidays so that I have a few weeks before I come back to it. Right now I'm also scared it will be way too short, but figure I can just fix that when I rewrite.

      Delete