Thursday, January 24, 2013

Matter Over Mind

So I already a new year's resolution post, but I wanted to kind of expand it.

It's all well and good to make new year's resolution, because that's the first step, but we have to follow through.  That's the hard part.  We all want to write more, or exercise, or do something that's generally hard for us to do.  If it wasn't hard, then we wouldn't have to make resolutions; we would just do them.

Setting a schedule is another good step in the process.  And it's usually here where I stumble.  I'll make a schedule, know I should follow the schedule, but don't always follow through.  I'll procrastinate because the resolutions are hard, and then all of a sudden the day is wasted.  It's taking it to the next step.

And here is where matter over mind comes in.  I think most of my blocks are mental.  Once I force myself into the chair or to dress for a run, that's all it takes to get me going.  It's just taking that first step of physically sitting down and opening the word doc, or getting up to put on my sneakers.  Otherwise I'm just flailing on the couch.  I need to force my body to do it, and not listen to my brain being lazy, telling me to just hang out for a few more minutes or take a break.

Of course breaks are necessary, but they should be minimized.  It's reaching that point where I can overcome the mentality of having to take a break or stop.  I should push myself through mental fatigue, because it's not actually fatigue.  It's just the hard part of writing.  Once I get passed that mental block I think I could do so much more, but I'm using it as a crutch to do "just enough".  Obviously we have to know our limits, but sometimes we should challenge them too, because it could turn out what we thought was a limit, was just mentality, and now we can do so much more than we thought!

1 comment:

  1. True enough. It's a tough thing to get me sit and write when I have a block, but once I start, creativity flows in. :)

    ReplyDelete