Monday, January 14, 2013

Multiple POVs

So I finished MS#2.  Woohoo!  Kind of.  It's drastically short for a YA sci-fi and needs all sorts of revisions.  But at least I'm at a starting point.

After finishing, I started thinking about all the work it needs and revisions to do (as any of us crazy people trying to write novels do).  I started to think that the LI needed to be fleshed out, like, waaay more.  I know his back story, but it didn't really come across in the draft.  And as I thought about it, I realized, that maybe he has a story to tell too.  (I mean, he does).

The thing is I always write 1st person (past).  I really like first person.  It's my favorite to read and my favorite to write.  But it's really limited.  You only get one person point of view and that's it.  So I've started thinking, maybe I need another POV.

There are a lot of books that alternate between POVs and do so in different ways.  There's third person POV where you can kinda change whenever you want (to an extent) or you can do it chapter by chapter, like in Laini Taylor's DAYS OF BLOOD AND STARLIGHT which gives many POVs.  Then there's many books that do alternating first person POV chapter by chapter like Maggie Stiefvater's SHIVER and THE SCORPIO RACES, or Beth Revis's ACROSS THE UNIVERSE.

I've been asking some peeps on Twitter, why they use dual or multiple POVs, because I'm not sure if that's what my MS needs.  Maybe the MS could be fleshed out without another POV.  So what are some of the reason people use dual POVs?  And what are some reason not to?

And, I'm scared to write boy POV.  I don't consider myself a girlie-girl, but the thought of being inside a dude's head is so foreign that it's scary.  What if it doesn't sound authentic?  What if it doesn't work?

WELL, that's where CPs come in.  I'm sure they'll tell me if it doesn't work.  I just need to start writing and see if it's what I want for my book.  It might not work for me, but I can't let nerves and jitters stop me from writing what the book needs, if that is indeed what it needs.

So despite thinking I was done MS#2, I think I'm about to revisit it with a boy's POV.

Why do you write or not write in multiple POVs?  I'd love to hear your reasons!

18 comments:

  1. I'm trying it for the first time – it's a bit daunting, but fun! I had to do it as the story is told in the first person, but there's things the reader needs to know that the main character couldn't possibly be aware of. The challenge for me is how to make the different voices distinct from one another… thank goodness I don't have to get it right first time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably the best reason to write two POVs! I don't know if my reason fits as well, but maybe I'll have to just write and see. And making the voices distinct is def another challenge!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on finishing! This sounds like my NaNo project. I wrote it in 3rd person past tense, but now I'm think I need to switch between the two MC's. which is always fun. My advice, try writing a little in a different POV and see if it works :) Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've written a few scenes from his POV and it is fun! I guess I'll have to write a bit more and see if it actually works :)

      Delete
  3. I've switched POV more times than I can count on my WIP.... I always doubt if what I'm doing is the right thing, then I switch, then I doubt and so on. So annoying! LOL

    I say go for it. Even if at the end you decide to go back to only one POV you will now have learned so much about your character in the process.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true! If I do go back to one POV, I will know soo much more about the LI that it will probably bleed through. Decisions are so hard!

      Delete
  4. This is a really interesting dilemma. Personally I've never written anything with dual POVs, only third and first person. It is something I'd love to try out though. I think if you believe it will make your MS better, you should go for it. And once you get into writing 'boy', it's not that scary! I managed to write a whole MS with a male protagonist, and it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be. My advice would be go with your instinct!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Instinct are usually correct, so that is great advice. I'll have to do some more soul searching to see what I want to do!

      Delete
  5. The series I'm working on now is first person past. I've written a book with 3 POVs before-- two boys and one girl, and I really loved it. And my next series will have a boy MC. You're right, though-- it IS scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'd be able to keep 3 POVs straight! That's really cool that you've done that before. I can't let my nerves hold me back and just have to write :)

      Delete
  6. Hey! New follower here. Just want to let you know that you've been nominated as Small Blogger with Most Potential on my blog. Prizes to be won.

    http://sylmion.blogspot.com/2013/01/news-day-week-3-announcing-nominees-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your award nomination.

    Writing in multiple POVs, when done right, can sometimes enhance a story. But we need to keep in mind it can sometimes be hard for readers to switch gears as they go from one person's perspective to another. Also, the writers have to work to make sure each voice in a POV is distinct from the others so it doesn't sound like it's all the same person as we go from one perspective to another.

    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah agreed. I'm worried that the POVs aren't different enough to warrant having two. I feel with two POVs usually they're pretty different voices, or insiders vs outsiders, which isn't really what I have. Thanks for the advice!

      Delete
  8. Just listen to your writing, go with what feels natural. I never made a conscious decision for multiple POVs, my WIP just always was, and with a male MC too. I wouldnt worry about having to write as a 'boy', just write as their character, write as you know them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true. Whatever feels the most natural is definitely the way to go :)

      Delete
  9. I just write what seems right for my character. However, I later run this by my hub. Every now and then he catches something that keeps the character in perspective.

    You've got a lovely blog. New Follower here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I think I'll do some more character development to see what feels right :)

      Delete