Monday, February 4, 2013

Books I've Read Recently

I haven't blogged about any books for a while and realized I've read quite a few.  I was reading furiously for the past month or so, having finished a first draft and letting it sit, and not having class for most of January. Here's some of the books I've read.

For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund was the first book I couldn't put down in a long, long while.  I read it in basically a day, skipping lunch (and I never skip lunch...)  It's a retelling of Persuasion, but I've never actually read any Jane Austen...  Anyways, I absolutely loved this book!  I read it because it's YA SF, but it isn't the ordinary SF with space travel or lots of modern technology.  It's a little bit dystopian, I guess.  The letters in the beginning of the chapters give a lot of backstory to the characters and made them so real.  I loved the tension between all of them.  The world was really interesting with Luddites, Reduced and Posts, as was the mix of new and old technology.  Iwould classify this as "un-put-downable".  Go read out and read it!!

Before that, I read Seraphina by Rachel Hartman.  I heard a lot of good things about this book and knew it was YA epic fantasy, which I love.  Hartman created an interesting world with dragons that can fold themselves into human skins, but I didn't fall in love with this story like many others did.  I think maybe the MC was a little too serious and down on herself, but it did go with the setting/culture Hartman created.  Or maybe I needed more romance.  It just seemed like another magical creature book, albeit a very creative one.  That being said, I still liked it, and will probably still read the second one because I want to see what happens between Seraphina and Kiggs.


I just finished The Crimson Crown, the fourth and final book in the Seven Realms series by Cinda Williams Chima.  I've loved this whole series and this book was a great ending to it.  The whole series is a YA epic fantasy with wizards, clans people, and Valefolk, focusing on the princess heir and a street thief/gang leader.  The world is fantastic and creative, and the characters are interesting. Chima also created a cool and unusual magic system that I really appreciated.  Definitely give this series a shot if you like epic fantasy!

What have you read recently?  Anything fantastic?

6 comments:

  1. That first one looks like something I'd LOVE! I'm going to pin that one for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I really really liked it and read it basically in one sitting because I couldn't stop!

      Delete
  2. I want to read the suggested, even the one you didn't love. Might as well. I'm once again reading The Mortal Instruments series! AH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love The Mortal Instruments! And really CANNOT wait for the movie to come out!!

      Delete
    2. Me too! How do you feel about Jamie Cambell Bower as Jace? Not sure...Jace is my fictional crush.

      Delete
    3. OH MAN JACE. Ahem. I mean, yes I like him too. I actually like JCB as Jace; I think he's gonna do a really good job. I LOVE Robert Sheehan, who plays Simon; he's the perfect amount of snark, so I'm really excited to see him too.

      Delete