Monday, February 25, 2013

Reading books before seeing the movies

I've gotten into this discussion a lot lately, since so many books are being turned into movies.  I think it's great.  I love reading books, end up loving them, and then see them getting turned into movies that go so well on the big screen.  (This probably comes from my love of explosions).

But I can't do it the other way around.  I can't see the movie first and then read the book.  For me, there's just this mental block and I get bored.  It could be that I already know what's going to happen in the book, so I don't feel like finishing the read.  Yes, when I watch the movie, I already know what's going to happen, but for me it's okay; I think I want to see if the director pictures it how I pictured it in my head.  Plus all the explosions.

I have a friend who can only read the book after the movie, not before.  What she said about why she does it that way makes complete sense.  There's so much more detail in the book that wasn't in the movie.  If she read the book before the movie, she would be let down.  But this way, it's like reading a new story because the book has new plot points and so many more details that they couldn't put in a movie.  It's like an expansion pack for video games (I'm guessing).

But for me, I just can't do it that way.  I get a brain block and usually end up putting the book down.  Which is why I always want to read the book before seeing the movie.

Do you read the book before the movie?  Or see the movie before reading the book?

8 comments:

  1. I prefer to read a book first before seeing the movie. Even though many movies don't go along with the book 100%, the book still gives me some sort of guide as to what to expect from the movie.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, you still know what's going to happy and it's cool to see how they did on the big screen vs. in your head!

      Delete
  2. My preference is book first, but that has never stopped me from seeing the movie. They're just two totally different experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I usually read the book in preparation for the movie, which leads me to be more excited *to* see the movie. Def two completely different experiences.

      Delete
  3. I'm definitely a book-first person. I even tried to cram Les Mis into a couple of weeks just so I could have read it before seeing the movie.
    As well as what you said, I also don't like picturing actors in my head when I think I characters - I much prefer to have my own mental images, and movies often destroy that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I like reading the book first because you get all those extra details that they couldn't jam into the movie, so I have a bigger appreciation for it.

      Sometimes I like picturing the actors as the characters (like Nicholas Holt as R from Warm Bodies, and Robert Sheehan as Simon from The Mortal Instruments... *swoon*), but most of the time, I agree I prefer my own mental images :)

      Delete
  4. Thinking back I think I prefer movie first, movies often skip past moments and details you loved which are awesome to discover in books. And I hate knowing the ending to a movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes so much more sense to watch the movie before reading the book, for that very reason! But I still tend to lose interest in the book if I do it that way.

      Delete