Wednesday, March 20, 2013

FIRST DRAFT OF TDoC IS FINITO

Woohoo!!  Last night I finished the first draft of MS2.  This one didn't come as easily as MS1, as the characters are very different from me and what I tend to like.  Especially the LI who is introverted and compassionate.  I tend to write LIs that are brash and cocky, the Damons instead of the Stefans.  I know this LI needs work, but I still really like him and his pink watch.

Anyways, I figured I'd do a recap posts so I can move on to something new.  (Isn't that how it always is??)

What is the title of your book?

THE DISLOYALTY OF COLORS.

I actually really like this title.  Once I sat down to brainstorm titles, it didn't actually take that long to come up with.

Where did the idea come from?

I've always been interested in synesthesia (when one sense is crossed with another so tastes have colors or smells have colors) since I learned about it in an Intro to Psych class in college.  I remember a girl saying that when her mom was making dinner, she would have to turn down her music in order to be able to smell what was cooking.  That situation kind of just blew my mind.  I also love codes and secret messages, so it just kind of spiraled from there.

What genre does your book fall into?

I'm calling it YA SF since it's set in the near future.  It's also a little bit cyberpunk, I think, but I'm afraid that would pigeon-hole it too much.

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

One sentence is really not enough for everything that goes on!  ugh!

Here it goes:  In the near future, sixteen-year-old Tesla Sonenclare, using her synesthesia and code-breaking skills, accidentally uncovers a heist plot to steal government intelligence, but then quickly becomes the only suspect.

How long did it take you to write your first draft?

Oh man, I lost count.  I wrote half of it during two months last summer, but stopped to revise a different book.  I guess it's been two months since I re-started?  Plus a month before the New Year.  So five months total.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

I've been calling it INSIGNIA meets HEIST SOCIETY.  That's really about it.  Maybe CODA by Emma Trevayne because she said it was also a bit cyberpunk, but that's not out yet, so I haven't read it.  (But seriously can't wait to!)  Maybe CINDER because of all the technology.  TDoC kind of hard to describe.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

This is always a hard one.  Tesla has platinum blonde hair, almost white, and brown eyes, so someone who looks like that.  (Very specific, I know...)  If you crossed Darren Criss's looks (and musical ability) with Matt Smith's personality, you would get the love interest, Nohl.

What else about the book might pique readers interests?

It kind of has everything.  Action (because of the heists), cool new technology, but also a deeper theme of learning who you are and what someone would sacrifice to save his or her family.


So there you have it, THE DISLOYALTY OF COLORS in a rather big nut-shell.

No comments:

Post a Comment