Thursday, March 28, 2013

PIPPIN: How far will you go to be extraordinary?

So yesterday I went to see PIPPIN and I can't stop thinking about it.  Like seriously.  I'm still in awe.

PIPPIN's been my favorite musical since my highschool did it when I was a freshman.  It was the first experience I've had of it, but I fell nose over tail for it almost instantly.  I was lucky enough to go to a hs that had an extraordinary music program (we had an honors choir, a cappella, even did Les Mis when I was a sophomore, complete with a barricade and revolving set.  Yes, it cost us a lot.  Yes, I bet we're still trying to pay it off now).  I was in the pit band, playing bass, and with each performance just fell in love with music more every time.

So when I heard there was going to be a revival, I couldn't believe it.  I'd been waiting for a Broadway performance of it since then (uhh, for 10 years, I guess.  Wow, I'm too young for anything to have been 10 years ago...)

ANYWHO.

Now this wasn't just your average performance of PIPPIN.  This was AMAZING.  And I've seen a lot of B'way shows, living so close to NY.  It was better than I ever thought it could be.  Like blew my brain.  This was PIPPIN meets Cirque Du Soleil.  They had acrobats climbing poles, hanging on hoops and swings, doing ridiculous flips.  They used the stage in such a great way, since now they could use it in three dimensions, instead of two.  They also changed the Leading Player role to a female which was innovative (and during the war scene her dancers were changed to dudes, which I thought was a really cool detail that some people may miss).  And the grandma was seriously incredible (you'll see what I mean if you see it; I don't want to spoil anything).  There was something for everyone in it: romance, action, dancing, acrobatics, brilliant singing.

And you can't talk about PIPPIN without discussing Pippin.  Matthew James Thomas, who was also in Spiderman: Turn off the Dark (and is British, I feel like that's necessary to mention), was cast as the lead.  And seriously guys?  He was perfection.  He was so genuine and naive in the beginning, caring towards the grandma, awkward when he had to be awkward, all around adorbs, and overall amazing.  AND DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON HIS VOICE.  Holy *swoons*.

And I love this musical because of the message. (Okay, I love it because of the music, but the message is big too).  Pippin just finished his education and he wants to know what he's doing with his life.  (So essentially, a New Adult book).  He tries all these different things, but just never feels fulfilled.  I just think it's a really relatable story, one that many people have felt in their lives.  What do we do to feel fulfilled?  How far will we go to be extraordinary?  Or as Pippin sings, Here I am, to seize my day, if someone would just tell me when the hell it is.

2 comments:

  1. Gah I love it when a good show like shatters you. Great post :)

    Sarah Allen
    (From Sarah, With Joy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made me feel all the feels! I don't listen to music when I write, but I'm definitely reconsidering with this soundtrack :)

      Delete