Monday, March 18, 2013

Torchwood vs. Doctor Who

So I just finished Torchwood: Children of Earth (season 3).  I was going through DoctorWho-withdrawl, so I figured something loosely based in his world might do the trick.  While it's not the same as Who, I did enjoy parts of it. And while watching, I started to see a lot of similarities.

They try to make Captain Jack Harkness into the Doctor.  Jack has a mysterious back story that no one knows about and he won't tell.  While he doesn't regenerate, he doesn't die either.  He's supposed to have this snappy personality.  And while I see where they were going, I don't think they took it far enough.  There wasn't enough of that Captain Jack charm that we got during Doctor Who.  And when he did have some flirty one-lines, they seemed forced.  But the one thing they missed completely is the Doctor's compassion. To me, that's what we love about the Doctor.  No person is insignificant to him.  He treats everyone the same and with respect.  And Jack is pretty cold.

Hello there, Eleven.
What I did like about Jack was his love of kissing.  He had a lot of boyfriends.  In most shows, the leading man has tons of women, but here they took it a step further and made it women AND men.  It's also something we don't see a lot of in the U.S., so I appreciated it from the BBC.

I think my favorite part of Torchwood was Owen.  He was the tension of the whole show. And when we found out how he had joined Torchwood at the end of season 2, that just made me like him even more.  I also really liked John Hart (or Spike from Buffy, as I was told).  It's those characters that have so much conflict and tension that really moved the story forward.

Season 3 was a completely different series (and only 5 eps) so I'm not really going to get into that.  It was def the best of the seasons (though I haven't watched the last yet) and Jack's choice in the final ep was seriously heart-breaking and made me reconsider being a writer.  Okay, maybe not that far, but it really makes you ask how far you would go to have your characters make the tough choices.

Oh, and 'Torchwood' is an anagram of 'Doctor Who'... *mind blown*

In other news, Doctor Who comes back March 30th!

No comments:

Post a Comment