Monday, March 4, 2013

Warm Bodies vs. Warm Bodies

I just finished reading Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion.  It was (I think) the only book I've ever finished reading after I'd seen the movie.  As I said in my last post, I just can't finish books if I've seen the movie first.

But Warm Bodies (the book) was really good.  Marion has a great voice and created a great character in R.  He's a zombie, but he's conflicted.  He doesn't just want to eat brains, but wants something more in life.  If you can call being a zombie, a life.  (I did say he was conflicted).

I think my favorite part of the book was the voice.  R was funny and sensitive, despite being a brain-hungry zombie, and intellectual.  He thought about stuff, a lot.  And most of that didn't get in to the movie, so you really understood his motivation a lot more in the book.

Why yes, I will look into your blue zombie eyes.
In the movie, I thought Nicholas Hoult was a good R.  (Plus floppy hair!  *swoon*)  He did a good job of portraying a zombie that wanted to be human but didn't really know how to be.  He had a lot of expressions that I think represented R perfectly.  There's one scene where he is passing a guard and is desperately trying to act human, and you can see the pain in his face.  (It's also a funny scene in the book.)  There's another scene where these goats come up to him and he tries to shoo them away because he doesn't really know what to do.  I thought Nick Hoult also had a pretty good zombie walk.  I think his long limbs had something to do with it.  As with most 1st person novels that get turned into movies, I wanted more of R's thoughts and feelings, which is hard to do in film.  He really didn't have very many lines (he is a zombie after all) so it was hard to get into his head without the voice-overs.

I think I liked the book better, but since I had seen the movie first, I wasn't as invested.  Plus, Nicholas Hoult was perfection as R.  The story itself was an unusual take on zombies and pretty refreshing.  So I'd def recommend both!

2 comments:

  1. Ahh, I've been wanting to read the book AND see the movie! I'll probably read the book first and then watch the movie when it's on Netflix. But I've heard such great things about both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I vote def read the book first. You'll get more out of both that way :)

      Delete