Saturday, August 10, 2013

WIPMarathon Check-in #1

Last word count: 18k
Current word count: 22k (plus brain-storming)

WiP Issues this week:
I had a lot.  I almost wrote a post on this, so maybe I should just describe it here.  Writing has been particularly hard for me because I just finished second draft revisions of a different WiP and I'm getting back to one that I haven't worked on for months.  I re-read what I had (~18k) and read through my outline and finally started drafting.

And then I began to doubt everything about the WiP.

I couldn't wrap my head around it.  This WiP is different from anything else I've ever done.  It's NA, contemporary, and character-driven.  And it's about loss.  It's sad.  And as I'm writing it, I don't know if I'm going in the right direction.  I'm second guessing everything.  I even thought about changing it to magical realism.  (I decided against it because I thought it would lose some of it's meaning, and that's the main purpose of this WiP).  I switched to reading contemp books, but I'm still just not inspired.

I don't think I'm in the right head-space for this WiP.  When I started writing this months back, it was cold and gloomy, dark.  It was winter and I was completely feeling the WiP, that this story had to be told.  And now I'm not so sure.  I'm not sure if it's because it's summer, or if I've fallen out of love with the story, but I'm considering putting it away and working on something else.  This is unusual for me; I'm not the type to leave things half-finished.

So maybe I just need to re-outline, maybe I need find that feeling, that head-space again.  Maybe it's just not its time to be written.  Maybe I need to wait until winter.  Or maybe this needs a complete rewrite.  So I'm unsure whether to push through, re-outline, or start something new (and wait for the winter).  Gah.  So that's where I stand right now...

What I learned:
I've been trying out WriteOrDie, and omg, it's been awesome.  Basically it forces you to write without stopping (otherwise an unpleasant sound goes off) for a set amount of time that you choose.  I used it a few times and it has upped my word count in such a short amount of time.  They might not be the best words, but they are on the page, which means they can be revised!  If you only have a short amount of time to write (say on a lunch break), I'd definitely recommend it.

What distracted me this week:
I posted my query for my YA SF (my previous WiP) on WriteOnCon's forum, so I've been critiquing other queries and trying to fix mine at the same time.  (It's here if you want to check it out!)  So that also distracted me from this new WiP.

5 comments:

  1. I can relate with you starting a sad story, and not being in the right headspace for it now.
    Happened to me with my current first chapter. It was violent when I first wrote it in April, and I felt it was good but when I revisited it this August, I just knew there was no way I could write that.
    So I rewrote everything and started from the beginning. Maybe sometimes, a complete rewrite and dampening of the gross elements might solve it. Not sure, but that's my two cents.

    Heading over to WriteOnCon now to check out your SciFi manuscript!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes things just need a makeover. If you re-plot it and its still not working out, it's okay to set it aside again for a while longer. You don't want to force it if it's not there.

    Good luck with the query! And I hope you get things worked out for this story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I think I'm going to take it slow for now and see what happens after I re-outline. Thanks for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been in that position before, where my head just isn't in the right place for something. I've shelved a completed novel for that very reason. It needs a rewrite but I just can't bring myself to do it! It is a tricky situation, but I hope you find the solution that makes you happiest! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It can be hard to go back to a project you haven't worked on for a while, and it can take some time to get back into the voice and mindset. Hopefully it'll start working for you, brainstorming is usually a great help to me when I'm struggling! Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete