Saturday, August 24, 2013

#WiPMarathon Check-in 3

Last word count: 26.5k
Current word count: 30k

WiP issues this week:  This week it seemed like every word was a struggle.  I have an outline but I'm still not sure if it's "enough".  But, this is pretty much it.  I'm almost finished "draft zero".  But Steph, it's only 30k.  Yes, yes, I realize that.  My goal before I query this is 50k and I always add about 15k in revisions.  That just how my mind works.  I get the bare-bones of the story on the page, then revise to add in everything I've missed.  So for now, I think I'm going to do one read-through to add in some brief things that I've missed then let it sit for a while so that I can see everything I'm missing.  I already know of a few more scenes I want to add, just not where in the story, so those might get written separately, or I'll wait until I go back for revisions.

What I learned:  How to push through.  My mind wasn't cooperating this week, but I made sure write a little bit every day even if it was only 500 words.

What distracted me:  My own want to be finished draft zero.  I would stare at the page and just think about how much I wanted to be done, lol.

10 comments:

  1. haha, cute. I can't confirm that staring doesn't work for me either.

    I follow a similar pattern -writing out the bare bones before fleshing it out in revision. My best advice is to just take the time you need to define exactly what you want before you head back in.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bare bones are a must. I always end up with a bunch to add, too. Have fun with your revisions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like an interesting approach actually! Good luck finishing draft 0! (.5? XD)

    And it's great that you were able to push through!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to push through!! I hate those weeks when every word is a struggle. Definitely can relate with that :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was so me a couple of weeks ago. I spent more time wanting the draft to be done than I did actually writing the draft. You're making progress though! (Much more than I was). Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I write drafts in a very similar way. Working out all the bare bones stuff and the going back and adding all the description and details later on. Good luck with finishing your draft.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's actually a really neat idea. I've started doing sections of my draft as "bare bones" which means I'll also fall short of the word count I want for the final piece, but when you look at it that way, as part of the process, then it actually makes a lot of sense. Gives you a good framework to work with when you move to the next draft. Well done on your progress! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you everyone for the encouragement! It's getting me all jazzed to go back and actually finish everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have realised that I am a very strange individual in that I tend to over-write my first draft and will end up having to cut chunks out that are just exposition and meandering until I get to a point. That's what happens when I just make the story up as I go, though.

    It's great that you stayed motivated enough to still write every day, even a small amount helps because it keeps you in the zone. Good luck for the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Steph, that's so great that you're almost done! Everybody has a different writing process. Some write first drafts much shorter than the finished product, some much longer, some about the same. What's important is that the process works for you!

    ReplyDelete