Monday, December 9, 2013

Reflections on the year

Yes, I realize the year isn't over, but my school year (semester) is.  This semester I've really let this blog go, mostly because I've been student teaching, doing all the work that goes along with that, getting my portfolio ready, and working a part-time job in the evenings and weekends.  I've barely had time to breathe.

But Wednesday was my last day in school and Sunday my portfolio was due.  Seeing all the students so sad that I was leaving reminded me why I wanted to be a teacher, and why I write YA. There is passion in everything that teenagers do.  They have all the feels all the time.

Going into student teaching, I wasn't sure if teaching was actually for me.  I love teaching, but there's so much other than teaching that goes into being a teacher.  And I have other passions, writing being one of them.  I wasn't sure if I'd be able to do both (and frankly I'm still not sure).  But seeing those students genuinely upset for me leaving renewed my passion for teaching and made me realize all the lives I'd be influencing.

I still have one more class to get my Master's, but I'm certified, meaning the job search can officially start.  It's a bit scary to think I'll have my own classroom and if this is actually for me, but I'm excited to see where this part of my journey leads me.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on being certified! Sounds like a huge step.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! It's been a long journey so far :)

    ReplyDelete