Wednesday, February 26, 2014

What's up Wednesday

Today I'm participating in What's Up Wednesday, a weekly writing blog hop to stay in touch.

WHAT I'M READING
I started reading THESE BROKEN STARS and have to admit, I almost put it down. Actually, I did put it down. It couldn't buy into the angst and the liking each other and then almost insta-hate, but I found myself still thinking about the book and the setting. And if I was still thinking about it, I figured I'd give it another try. And once I got passed that beginning (slash kinda the middle) I started really enjoying it. The setting is wonderful, but so different than the SF I'm writing, and I started really liking the characters and what was going on with them. I haven't finished yet, so I'm interested to see how it ends.

WHAT I'M WRITING
I've been finishing up the (hopefully) last draft of revisions for THE DISLOYALTY OF COLORS, my YA SF. I hope to query it sooner rather than later, but I'm not putting any deadlines on it. I think I'm gonna have one last round of critiques just to make sure that the revisions I did aren't totally off-base.

WHAT INSPIRES ME RIGHT NOW
I've been a little down on the inspiration front lately, but then I started reading Jack Canfield's The Success Principles. I'm only a little ways in, but I already feel more invigorated. He talks about creating goals and then doing everything in your life with those goals in mind, and only doing things that line-up with your goals. While this is a bit extreme, it was a good reminder that your goals should be at the front of your mind. I was kind-of forgetting this. So I realigned my work with my goals and feel so much better!

WHAT ELSE I'VE BEEN UP TO
I've been working on my YouTube channel.  I was apprehensive about it at first because I thought it'd be something where I'd run out of ideas or that it would get old, but I'm really enjoying it.  I post book reviews, vlogs, nerdy things I've made, random thoughts and obsessions, and I keep getting more ideas.  There's just something about creating videos that I really enjoy, something that you can point to and say "I made that".  It's similar with writing, but with that, it takes much longer to point to something and say "I did that".  If you feel inclined to check it out, you can find my channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/StessaSays


10 comments:

  1. Hello, Steph! So far, there have been very few books (I can think of one off the top of my head) that I have actually put down and re-shelved unfinished. I think it's because I'm working through a TBR list built off of recommendations, and I've discovered I hang out with people who have pretty darn good taste. :) There are so many reading/writing lessons in your experience, though, about making sure the opening of the novel grabs the reader, and giving the new and the different a fair shake.

    I don't think I've visited you before, so it's good to meet you! I hope you have a wonderful writing week, full of inspiration and great critique responses. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Colin, thanks for stopping by! I've been on a pretty good roll of awesome books lately too (which is maybe why this one was a bit harder for me). But you're right that it definitely helps me look at pacing and how to grab the reader, which is something I can learn from. Nice meeting you too! :)

      Delete
  2. Hiya Steph! Oooh, a fellow YA SF writer! Insta!Follow :D Good luck getting ready for querying. Here's to a successful week ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay YA SF! Thank you for the well-wishes. They are currently needed for all this revising!

      Delete
  3. Like Colin, I hardly put down books. I have this obsessive need to see what happens in the end no matter what! These Broken Stars doesn't sound familiar to me but now I'm intrigued...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite part was the setting and the differences between the MCs. The romance I was less excited about, but it still gave me the feels at points. If you like YA SF, I'd say give it a try!

      Delete
  4. I felt the exact same way about These Broken Stars! Glad to know I'm not alone. But the last half of the book made it worth trudging along that dang planet! It's great you're not putting a deadline on your WIP. I set goals, but when I set a specific deadline it can take a toll at times. Other times it works out, but you have to figure out what's the best thing for you and your story. You're so brave getting YouTube channel! I don't think I could put myself out there like that! Go you! I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad someone else felt the same way about TBS! I do interim goals for my WiP, for example I'm doing a 3-day read through of the whole thing. I find it helps me stress out less :) The YouTube channel is actually really fun! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Okay, I need to read that book. And good luck with the new YA project!

    Sarah Allen
    (From Sarah, with Joy)

    ReplyDelete