Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Wednesday, What's Up?

Today I'm participating in What's Up Wednesday, a weekly writing blog hop to stay in touch, hosted by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk.

WHAT I'M READING
I finally finished AVALON by Mindee Arnett. It reminded me of Firefly/Serenity, more so Serenity, if you've seen the movie. I really enjoyed it, but bad things kept happening to Jeth (the main character) and I just wanted something good to happen to him once in a while! I'll probably do a vlog review about this soon.

WHAT I'M WRITING
I *just* started brainstorming the new WiP yesterday. I created a world that I'm really excited about, and I kinda have characters; I know what the relationships will be to the different characters in the WiP, but I have no backstory yet. Or plot. So yeah... still working on that. I have an inkling, but I'm not sure if I like it yet, so I guess it's just more brainstorming for now.

WHAT INSPIRES ME RIGHT NOW
Pinterest! I've been pinning pictures to my WiP board (called Hanging Gardens) for a while now, and I'm so happy I finally get to start. Looking at all the atmospheric pictures is definitely helping my inspiration because it was waning a little bit before.

WHAT ELSE I'VE BEEN UP TO
Finally finished the chem praxis, so I'm just waiting for my scores. And applying to jobs. I'm getting super antsy because I just want next year to be nailed down. And I'm looking for new apartments, which is kinda dependent on where I'll be next year (and if I can afford it...) so I'm trying not to stress about it. Whatever's supposed to happen, will happen. (I just have to keep telling myself that.)

I finally saw The Fault In Our Stars! I dragged two of my guy friends along (one the bf and one the bff, because I knew the bf wouldn't cry and the bff totally would). Really enjoyed Ansel's portrayal of Gus and since I hadn't read the book in long time, it reminded me of all the themes of oblivion. I actually did a vlog about it, if anyone's interested.

How's your week going? 

21 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're excited about your new idea! Pinterest can be great for inspiration. I still need to watch TFIOS, though I've heard great things. Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm obsessed with pinterest! I can get lost on there for hours! Have a great week as well!

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen TFIOS-- I'll probably catch it on video. (I have little kids and so GOING to the movies almost never happens). I saw you like codes-- me, too! are you into The Bletchley Circle? I just started reading Cryptanalysis by Helen Gaines and it's blowing my mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not even heard of the The Bletchley Circle!! That is something I'm going to definitely have to watch! Is it on Netflix? I'm definitely going to have to check out Cryptanalysis too! Thanks for all the recommendations!!

      Delete
  3. I think it is on Netflix. It's SO GOOD. :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just started watching it during my lunch break! (yay working from home!) Then I got side-tracked with work stuff, but I'm def gonna keep watching after dinner!

      Delete
  4. Brainstorming new projects is the best! I started doing that recently with a YA fantasy I want to write. I have some worldbuilding done...but no plot lol. So, yeah, I get what you're dealing with. Isn't it awesome creating inspiration boards on Pinterest? One of the best uses of Pinterest, in my opinion. As for TFIOS, I couldn't agree with you more. I wasn't sure about Ansel Elgort as Gus going in, but holy wow, did he ever nail it. Such an amazing adaptation! Hope you have a wonderful week! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE brainstorming. I just wish it were quicker, lol. I've been using this website called 30 days of world-building (http://www.web-writer.net/fantasy/days/index.html) which has been awesome. I hope a plot will come as I work through it! Have a great week as well!

      Delete
  5. I feel your pain! I have a world and a set of characters that have been buzzing about in my head for years without any plot - it's so frustrating! I've been applying for jobs too, but like you said it's difficult to get anything pinned down when you have no idea where you might be in a year's time!

    Good luck with your WIP, and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?? I'm just gonna keep brainstorming until I find a plot that I like and that does with the characters and their story. Thanks!!

      Delete
  6. Yay for brainstorming, Steph! I am also addicted to pinterest……it's a problem. You can totally get lost on that site! I saw TFIOS the night before it opened and really enjoyed it. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like if you have pinterest, you have to be addicted, lol. It's just such a great site especially for writers! Have a great week as well!

      Delete
  7. I think I need to try Pinterest more. I haven't spent much time at all over there. Of course, MORE distractions from writing might not be such a good thing. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing!! But be warned, yes it may become a bit of a distraction, but can also help with inspiration!

      Delete
  8. Being excited about a new idea is such a great feeling. Enjoy! :D And best of luck with the job hunt, too. Here's to lots of success ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I'm very excited about the new idea, so I can't wait to start actually writing (and not just brainstorming!)

      Delete
  9. I LOVE Pinterest! It's perfect for getting inspiration for wips but for me it can be a little addicting haha. I'm glad you like your new idea. I hope you figure everything out about the plot and the backstory. Brainstorming is fun and sometimes tedious so good luck!

    I'll get around to seeing TFiOS. I loved the book and it nearly tore me apart so I know that the movie will do the same thing. I'm pretty sure I'll drag a friend to go see it with me just so I have someone there to put my back together when I cry myself into a million pieces.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really liked Ansel as Gus too! So cute and goofy until he starts to make you bawl! They both did such a great job.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that's a gorgeous board! TFIOS was the first time I've seen Ansel play in anything- he was so charming and squeezable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pinterest useful for writers you say? Hmm, will have to have a look... :)
    Stuck Avalon on my to-read shelf.
    Good luck with the new WiP!

    ReplyDelete