Tuesday, July 8, 2014

X-Men: Days of Future Past (A Review)

I know I'm super late with this review, so I don't even know if it will be relevant to anyone. But I have thoughts, so I'm posting it anyways.

I was super excited to see this movie. I absolutely love action movies, especially superhero movies, and especially X-Men. And this had the present *AND* past X-Men including Nicholas Hoult, who obviously makes every movie better. But even the attractive Mr. Hoult couldn't do it for me.

The plot of the movie is basically, the X-Men from the "present" have to go back to the past to stop a guy from making these sentinels, which are basically unstoppable because they can adapt to the X-Men's powers. Sounds cool, right? The "present" was awesome. There's so much fighting and sweet graphics (Ice Man finally gets to use his ice as waves to ride on), and you get to meet some new sweet X-Men, albeit briefly. But when we get transported to the past, meh.

The best scene in the whole movie is when Quicksilver (never named, but we know who he is) takes out a whole room of guards in slow-mo. But then what to the X-Men do? Say, oh I guess he was only okay, let's bring him back to his mom and not actually use him for anything else. THIS DOES NOT MAKE SENSE. He's their best resource and they're just like, eh, he's young.

Mystique just seemed like a plot device for the whole movie and we never really get to her core. I also don't really like that era too much, but that's just my preference. One detail I did like was when it was alluded that Magneto killed JFK (because how else could a bullet bend) but he was actually trying to save him because he was a mutant. So that was kinda cool.

Overall, I was a bit disappointed. This just makes me more hungry for Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers 2.

Have you seen X-Men? What were your thoughts? Are you excited for Avengers and GotG?

4 comments:

  1. Hmm… my friend told me this was really good. I've wanted to see it, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

    I'm interested in Guardians of the Galaxy, too! When does Avengers 2 come out?!? Loki isn't in it, though, right? That makes me a little less excited for it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I was just disappointed because I had such high expectations and then it wasn't what I thought it was going to be like.

    I think Avengers 2 doesn't come out until like NEXT summer. Ugh! But I think Guardians will be a good tide-me-over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found constantly flicking from past to present you didn't get massively invested in any of the characters, especially since Wolverine HAD to succeed which kind of made the present irrelevant :/ but still Quicksilver was awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with all of that. They should've had Quicksilver scenes!!

      Delete