Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy: A (movie) review

I’m finally back from two vacations. Yes, I know that’s a little excessive… blame my mother who wanted all the family bonding time since she’s now retired. So I dragged her to see Guardians of the Galaxy. I’d already seen it once and I thought she might like it because she loves Star Wars.

Anywho, I saw it, and I think I might have even liked it better the second time around. (And that * never * happens to me. I’m a one time movie type of person.)

There were just so many good things about this movie. Chris Pratt was hilarious and totally likeable even for a thief. I think Rocket might have even been my favorite character, even though I'm not head-over-heels for Bradley Cooper (despite him being from the town next to my hometown). They put just enough backstory for every character to make them worthwhile and make sense.

And the music choices. Brilliant. They way James Gunn (the director) put them into the scenes was truly amazing. Many of the songs were a dichotomy with what was going on in the scenes, but still managed to fit perfectly. For example, in the trailer it plays “Hooked on a Feeling”, this light-hearted song that doesn’t quite make sense for a prison scene. But the music starts once Peter Quill (Chris Pratt) is getting tazed. I’m just like, that's perfection. It works also because the story is very comedic-centered unlike many of the other Marvel movies. Another great music scene is when the villain’s spaceship crashes into the planet, the song playing is “Ooh Child” and the lyrics are “Things are going to easier/better” kind of showing that the destruction won’t last forever, but again it’s this up-beat type of songs in the middle of this crash and all this debris. Seriously good stuff.

Only things I didn’t like: Gamora wasn’t as bad-ass/scary as she was supposed to be (this I didn’t mind as much since I didn’t read the comics but the people I went with said this was the biggest deviation), and that Nebula’s motivation didn’t make sense with me as she seemed to flip-flop alliances for no reason (this is probably because she wasn’t even in the comics, again according to the comic-readers I went with).


Overall, one of my fave comic book movies, if not favorite one that I’ve seen. Go see it if you like comics/Star Wars type films/action movies/good movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment