Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Highly Unmotivated

I've been feeling highly unmotivated as of late. I think it's because so many things in the other areas of my life are changing that putting effort into something else has just made me tired. I'm about to be starting a new job as a teacher. And while I am extremely excited for my first year of teaching at an amazing school, I know I'm going to be super busy. This means writing might not fit in, right away.

I'm the kind of person who likes to focus all my time, put all my energy on one thing. When I was in high school and college, I never read for fun; I spent all my time either studying, playing sports, doing music, or hanging out with friends. I'm scared this is going to happen again and I won't have time to write.

I'm also moving across town, no big deal, but it's also right before school starts. So it's just another thing on my mind. Packing is the worst.

So as I sit on my couch and write this post, I know I should be writing. I've written about 4k of a new WiP, but that was weeks ago. I love my characters, I love my setting, but I know something's off. And so the daunting task of letting the suck flow for a first draft has me at a stand still. I'm not sure what to do to get the energy to write. I don't know if I just need to take some time and get my outside world in order before I can create a new world on the pages.

What do you do when you're unmotivated?

5 comments:

  1. sit down and write. That's it. Set a timer for 20 minutes so that it doesn't feel so daunting, and just write. After 10 minutes, I promise you'll start to get excited that you are actually writing that you'll want to set the timer for another round :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! I definitely think I'm gonna try this. Now I just have to get familiar with my story again :)

      Delete
  2. I look for new music to listen to, or go back to some old favourites, just generally relax so your brain is able to wander and find that magic again :) Don't stress, I thought the same thing when I started a new job, and still studied, and got another freelance job, and... you make time for what you love, it just happens in more intermittent bursts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it nearly impossible to write when I'm very stressed. Moving and starting a new job are definitely good reasons to be stressed, so don't beat yourself up for not writing. Give yourself a few weeks to settle in, and then I bet the motivation will be back. Sometimes, the more I try to force myself to write, the worse I feel about writing. I think taking a step back while other things in your life change is healthy. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I don't know if I just need to take some time and get my outside world in order" - it could very well be just that. I stepped out for a month for the same reason and now I'm back with a clearer head. Best of luck to your new teaching job and that your writing will pick up again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete