Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Killing Darlings

Yesterday was day 1 of revision overhaul for TDoC. It's a book I've been working on for a long time, started querying, and then stopped because I realized it wasn't ready. So I took a good look at it yesterday and realized on thing. I really have to kill my darlings.

There are some scenes that just don't go with the atmosphere of the book, and some scenes that don't move the plot forward, and some scenes that are too short to do much of anything. It was so hard for me to see that they were darlings, until I had gotten those query rejections, which made me realize something actually is wrong with it. And surprisingly, I'm okay with changing it. I'm down for anything that makes the manuscript better. So I've rewritten my outline in terms of plot, pacing, and character development. I'll need more of the last bit, but I'm on the right track. I think.

My (lofty) goal is to finish all of that in a week (which is when I go away for vacation). If not, then my goal is to finish by the time I get back from vacation. And then start my new WiP, ItSoM.

Yay productivity!

Have you ever had to kill your darlings? Was it hard? Or did it come easy to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment