Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Books I've Read Recently: August Edition

As the summer winds to a close, I've been frantically finishing all the books I got from the library, because I know once the school year starts I'll read maybe one a month.

I started reading RED RISING by Pierce Brown because I saw on twitter that Victoria Schwab was enjoying it, and I figured if I like her books, I'd like what she's reading. And I was correct. RED RISING is the first of a trilogy, sort of The Hunger Games on Mars meets Roman mythology. It took me a few chapters to get into it, but then I couldn't put it down. His lyrical writing is awesome and he has great lingo to show the different setting (that's linguist in me again, getting excited). Definitely one to read!

For our high school book club, WE WERE LIARS by E. Lockhart was one of 5 books we decided to read over the summer. While I liked this story, the twisty ending didn't seem as twisty as everyone made it out to be. It could be that I've just happened to read many similar twists lately. But I couldn't put this book down either, so I'd still recommend it.

While I was on vacation, I finished STEELHEARTS by Brandon Sanderson. I really liked this world, having the superheroes as villains, but I wanted more wrap up in book 1. Since this will be a series (a trilogy? idk), I felt that he didn't wrap it up enough because he wanted to save things for the next book. Not sure if I'll read the next one, but I still really enjoyed the concept. If you like action/thrillers with a different take on superheroes, give this one a try.

I just started THRONE OF GLASS, so that's next on my list.

What have you been reading lately? Or what's in your TBR pile?

No comments:

Post a Comment