Monday, December 14, 2015

Books I've read recently: December Edition


I picked up THE EMPEROR'S BLADES because I follow Victoria Schwab on twitter and she told me to read it. Not me personally, just anyone who was listening. And I was. And I wasn't disappointed. It's a sort of fantasy novel, but more genre-bending than anything I've read in a while. It was really refreshing to read something new and unique. I also don't read a lot of "adult", but this was awesome. I especially liked the three totally different points of view with each one keeping me engaged and wanting to know more about that character. I have book two out from the library and it's next up for me to read.

I also picked up WOLF BY WOLF because of Victoria Schwab. (I can whole-heartedly say I will now read anything she recommends.) I was a bit wary about this as the only thing I knew about it that it was alternate historical fiction, which I don't usually read. But it gripped me from the first page. It's also very different than anything else out there -- I wouldn't say it's straight alternate history -- and the writing is so lyrical that it just drew me in. I definitely recommend it to anyone, whether or not they like alternate historical fiction (with a twist of fantasy).

I picked up BONE GAP because it seemed like everyone and their mother were recommending it. While I liked it, I felt like it was just hinging on the "twist" ending, which was less of a twist than a... well, I don't want to spoil anything, so I guess you'll have to read it. I liked that ending part, but I felt like too much revolved around that point for me to buy in completely. It was very mystical and had nice lyrical writing as well, but the characters never pulled me in. Maybe there was just too much hype from the start. Or maybe I just prefer speculative to contemporary. And it was definitely different from anything else I've read in a while, so give it a try and tell me what you think.

What have you read lately? Anything amazing that I should be reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment