Monday, January 4, 2016

New Year's Resolutions: Writing Style

As the New Year approached, I started thinking about my resolutions. I do love making resolutions, because it's a time to start fresh and work on oneself. I always have these grand ideas of what that looks like, but I don't always get the details right. So this year, I'm going to be detailed in the three areas that I want to work on.

Exercise
This always falls off the band wagon for me (is that the right expression?) because it just takes so much time. So this winter I joined two winter leagues for Ultimate frisbee. That means I will have games twice a week. I also want to take dance classes on Saturdays. That means at least 3 days a week I will be exercising. For good measure, I'd like to do an arm workout once a week (it only takes like 15 minutes, but I consistently don't do it). I've even started a wall where I write down what I've done so that I can see my progress. And this year I actually have motivation and a timeline, because I'm going to the Dominican Republic with my students in March for a service-trip.

Writing
I want to write every day. For me this is the best way I write, but also the most difficult, because I have zero time. I coach sports before school starts, so waking up early isn't an option (because I am non-functional at 4:30 in the morning) and stay at school til 5. But I want to change that. I want to leave school by 4 pm every day, so that I can come home and write for an hour. Not sure how that will work mentally, but for now, that's my plan. I'll change it if I need to. I'm not setting myself a word count for the day, just as long as I write something. If it's two sentences, while not ideal, at least it's something. And some days that might just happen.

Blogging
I really like blogging, but again, don't always have time (see above). My goal is to have a blog post every Monday. It could be about books, writing, movies, or just general life, but something, ever Monday. I'm not sure it that's a realistic goal, but that's what I've set for myself.

(Reading)
This isn't a resolution, because for me, reading is like breathing. I read a few chapters every night before I go to bed and I want to continue to do that.


Do you like to make New Year's Resolutions? What are yours for this year?

2 comments: