Monday, January 11, 2016

This story is hard.

I've been writing my current WiP for what seems like forever. In reality it's only been a few months off and on (more off, really, than on). But every time I write, it feels like I'm pulling teeth to get the words on the page.

This story that I'm writing is complicated and complex. I'm a perfectionist, so it's hard for me to let go and just let myself write, because I want everything to be perfect. But obvi it's not going to be; it's a first draft.

I know my ending (kinda), but I don't know the middle at all. So every time I write, I have to outline (which I do on paper), and then type. But it leaves me uneasy because I don't know where I'm going next. It's the first time I've written like this, but I haven't been able to make a full outline for this story, despite trying multiple times.

This story also has a large world. It's based on three different races, with different traditions and languages. As someone who loves linguistics, I want to create some words for each of these languages. So it's going to be a big project. Most of this is going to come in the revision stage, so I haven't thought of most of it, which might be holding me back subconsciously.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ready to write this story. And I might not be. But once I get a first draft, I can put it away and save it for later if that's the case.

I just need to complete a first draft first.

No comments:

Post a Comment