Monday, February 15, 2016

The Shannara Chronicles: TV Show Review

I saw a tumblr post for Kiersten White about the new show The Shannara Chronicles and decided to give it a try. I didn't really know what to expect because it's MTV.

Full disclosure: I haven't read the books. Well, I started reading The Sword of Shannara and got about 60 pages in and then put it down. I know, gasp. But I just couldn't get into it. It felt a bit like Lord of the Rings (which I also never finished reading, got 150 pages in and they had barely left the Shire, so I put it down too), which was intriguing.

From the first 50 pages that I read, they've already changed a lot. A bit for the better (no slow beginning), and a bit for the worse (why is the main character so sarcastic/snarky?). After doing some Goodreads research, it seems that most of this show is based off the second book, The Elfstones of Shannara, so maybe it follows that book more closely than what I read with the first book. Maybe I should read that one.

In general, I'm intrigued, but the acting makes me less so. Austin Butler is not my favorite actor (I liked him better as Wilke in Switched At Birth), but I like the actors they've surrounded him with. Poppy Drayton has an amazing American accent, so much so that I didn't even realize she was British until I looked her up. (With that name, it's so obvious, though.) Though the American accents feel kinda weird, (I just associate medieval/fantasy with British accents I guess), even though it's supposed to be Earth after hundreds of years.

The first episode, which is actually the first two, aren't great (I fell asleep twice (maybe three times?) watching it). So much is going on, (the huge world, plus the many different characters) that it's hard to get a grasp on things. But I had a lull in TV shows, so I ended up watching episodes 3 and 4. Things really start to pick up here and get better. It seems like it will be a "hero's journey", which aren't my favorite, but I'm interested in the characters and the world enough, that I can let the plot slide. I'm most intrigued by Bandon, who gets introduced in ep. 3, so I'm hoping there's some good development of his character. I also think Austin Butler gets better in these two episodes, so I'm hoping that will continue.

Overall, I'll keep watching (and see if any of the acting makes me angry enough to stop), but so far, I'm okay with it.

Do you think you'll watch it?



2 comments:

  1. I saw the previews- and had to look away at some of the monsters. Yes, I am SUCH a chicken. =) I was watching the new Shadowhunters tv series, but not anymore. The acting isn't very good at all, imho. =/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched Shadowhunters in a while (Clary is so annoying!), though I'll probably go back just in hopes that it got better. I love the books so much!

      Delete