Monday, February 1, 2016

When to start a draft over?

I've never started a draft over and the thought leaves me with mixed feelings. On the one hand, it makes me feel like I'm not trying hard enough, that if I just push through I could make it work. That I'm making excuses because this draft is hard and if I start over, I won't actually finish it. (I don't know why I think that, because I've never not finished a first draft). That with starting over, it will take many more months to complete.


On the other hand, my gut is telling me this is what I should do. That the draft, while it will take forever and I probably won't reach my goal of finishing the draft by April 1st, will be better for it. It will be a lot of work, but it won't be like how it is now. Which is not working.

And this is how I decided to start over.

Last Monday was a snow day and I took the whole day to re-outline half of my story. It made me realize what I was missing (ahem, the ending and point of the story... well, at least the tangible point of the story) and that I couldn't move on until I figured it out. But to get to the ending in the story, I needed to rewrite the beginning.

And so I embark in my first ever rewrite and hope that this fixes some of my missing parts. I won't be able to start just yet, since I still don't completely know the ending, but I am looking forward to starting over and not completely dreading it.

Have you ever started a draft over? Did it help you in the end?

2 comments:

  1. Good luck on your rewrite! I can say from experience that it can definitely work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm hoping that it will get the juices flowing again and just have everything make more sense. I still have a bit more outlining to do, but hopefully I can start soon!

      Delete