Monday, April 4, 2016

What I've read recently: April Edition

So while I haven't been writing much, I have been reading. Here's what I've read recently.

I am a hard-core Cassandra Clare fan. I've read all The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices books, and loved most of them. LADY MIDNIGHT reminded me why I like the series so much. We get some new characters in the same world, but different setting (L.A. instead of NYC). I thought it would get repetitive, and in some parts it did, but I still couldn't put it down. Emma is a mash-up of Clary and Jace, which didn't excite me, but I really liked Julian. He wasn't the normal boy protagonist, which was refreshing. I didn't think I'd like it as much as I did, especially because I thought I would've outgrown the series by now, but I haven't. Definitely give it a read, if you liked the previous two. I'll be reading all subsequent books in the series :)

I've heard so much about THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN and how it was the next GONE GIRL, which I loved, I decided to give it a try. It was also our high school book club book, since they'd read GONE GIRL for English class, and wanted something similar. It was good, but no where near GONE GIRL good. It had a cool format of past and present, and some good twists, but comparing it to GONE GIRL does it a disservice. I'll be interested to see how the do the movie, because it doesn't seem like the right format for film. But then again, what do I know?

I've been waiting for the last installment of The Lunar Chronicles for a while, because I was on the wait list from the library. WINTER is a nice ending, though I didn't care about Winter as a character too much. It was good to see everything resolved in the end, though I think Marissa Meyer could have done it in far fewer pages. I found myself putting it down more than the other books in the series, simply because it was so long. It was cool to see how all the fairy tale characters interact with each other and how their stories were woven together. I can't even imagine writing from that many different POVs, so kudos to Marissa Meyer for that.

Next up on my list is AN EMBER IN THE ASHES, A GATHERING OF SHADOWS, and MORNING STAR, which I'm super excited about.

What are you reading? Any recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment