Monday, August 22, 2016

The Struggle is Real

Well, it's been a while.

The end of the school year is always super hectic, and school went until the end of June (thank you Pope Francis for closing our schools for a week and pushing back our end date). So it was a long year and then I was just tired.

School is always intense for me, because I'm the kind of person to put all my effort into something or not do it at all. And for me that was teaching, so I didn't have any brain-space left to write.

So July was a bit of a wash. I also took a class (Spanish) at the local community college, but while it helped me get up on time in the morning, it didn't help me focus on writing.

Part of my struggle is that I haven't drafted in a while and I forgot how much first drafts suck. But you can't edit without first having words on a page. I just have to get myself to remember that. Words on page now, polish later. It doesn't how much they suck now, because they will not suck after (hopefully). I can work on fixing it later.

I wrote a bit in August (22k, most of it not new words) and now school is about to start. But I am making it my goal this year to write during the school year. Even if it's not a lot per day, my goal is to be finished this draft by November 1st (my birthday). (And to be finished 30k by the time school starts on August 31st.)

I haven't figured out how to balance teaching, writing, and exercising (and still having something of a social life). But I have an office (!) now that will be dedicated to writing, instead of just my couch.

Here's to renewed motivation and just getting (sucky) words down on a page!

No comments:

Post a Comment