Monday, October 17, 2016

My Thoughts On: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

I just recently finished Harry Potter and the Cursed Child and I have THOUGHTS. There are spoilers (not that there's much to be spoiled in this book, which is one of my gripes) but if you don't want to know what the book is about then don't read on.

Ahem.

It started off really well. I was super excited when Albus was sorted into Slytherin. As a Gryffindor that could have also been in Slytherin, I wanted a book from a Slytherin's POV. I thought it was going to be really interesting and intriguing to see it from their point of view. If HP&CC would have been just about that, it would have been amazing. That was the book I wanted. A new POV in HP and Slytherin was a great starting place for it.

And then they threw in time travel. Ughhhh. I already don't like time travel in almost all movies and books, but this was especially awful. The time travel turned it into a rehashing of HP& the Goblet of Fire. I mean I loved HP&GoF, but if I wanted to read that again, then I would have just read that again... This did not put a new spin on anything. I didn't even find the "new" future interesting because I was so upset with how they did it.

There were some missteps with characterization too. While HP is usually whiny, he was ridiculous in this. I couldn't take any part of him seriously. Ron seemed out of character and over the top to the point where it didn't feel like Ron. Also, Albus's motivation for going back in time made no sense, but I won't even get into that.

Overall, I was disappointed (though I did read it in two days which is super quick for me now that school is in full swing). I thought it had the start of something great and if it had gone in a different direction, could have been something awesome. But at least I got some sort of new Harry Potter out of it. Also Fantastics Beasts is coming out soon and I could not be more excited!

Did you read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child? If so, what did you think of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment